News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding DCC to Spectrum 84014 K4s Pacific

Started by NEC, July 07, 2018, 04:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEC

Just bought a model 84014 K4s loco. It has only a DC lighting board. The tender-to-loco connection is a 4 + 2 pin plug setup. Was wondering if anyone has figured out the color codes.

I am assuming the following:

2-pin plug with red and black wires is the motor.
4-pin connector (Orange, Red (yes, another Red) Green, Brown) is for lighting, front and rear on the loco, but don't know which is which.
Since I think this is a DC loco, I will need to swap out the bulbs for LEDs.

Installing a TCS WOWSound WSK-BAC-7 card.

I am multimeter-equipped, just trying to get the board wiring right before I disassemble the loco to do the lights.

All help greatly appreciated.

Trainman203

Don't do "anything " until  you "know" rather than "assume"..... or your engine will be "smoking " without a smoke unit. 😮😱😂😂😂

ACY

If it is a mid to late Spectrum K4 then it would be DCC ready and have an 8 pin socket or already have DCC.
If it is an early original Spectrum K4 then it would not have an 8 pin socket and would not be worth converting to DCC to most people.
This is the early original model, note the box

This is the late and mid models respectively, note the boxes again:

NEC

Thanks, ACY.

The box is the dark green one at the bottom of your photo and was shrink-wrapped. There is no harness and no mount in the tender for the speaker, but I can overcome that. I've only verified that the motor is isolated so far. Just no harness and I will have to trace out all the wiring from the socket through the loco because it is definitely not NMRA color-coded. Was hoping someone here might have followed the path before me.

I will have to replace the lamps with LEDs and get the polarity right.The DCC decoder paperwork says it has resistors built in. A small break.

Just going to be more of a pain than anticipated.

ACY

Quote from: NEC on July 07, 2018, 08:33:49 PM
The box is the dark green one at the bottom of your photo and was shrink-wrapped. There is no harness and no mount in the tender for the speaker, but I can overcome that.
If it came in the black box with gold writing as seen below, then it definitely should have a 8 pin socket or a decoder already installed depending on if it says DCC ready or DCC on board.

The only one that should not have a 8 pin socket is this one:

If your locomotive came in the plain black box with gold writing and did not have an 8 pin socket then that means that someone modified it or repaired it and resealed it.

WoundedBear

I am with Trainman on this issue.

I have done my share of pretty odd DCC installations. ( search some of my older threads) The ONLY way to be certain of your connections is to trace out all your leads first.

Good luck!

Sid

NEC

Quote from: WoundedBear on July 08, 2018, 08:52:28 AM
I am with Trainman on this issue.

I have done my share of pretty odd DCC installations. ( search some of my older threads) The ONLY way to be certain of your connections is to trace out all your leads first.

Good luck!

Sid

QuoteIf your locomotive came in the plain black box with gold writing and did not have an 8 pin socket then that means that someone modified it or repaired it and resealed it.

Plain black box with gold lettering. Got it on eBay - Need I say more? Most times I've been lucky there. There is a hardwired PCB (site is not allowing photos to be posted) in the tender but no mount for a speaker and no harness. Just have to trace out the wiring and figure the pinouts on the two connectors between the tender and loco the hard way. Thanks for verifying.

ACY

Quote from: NEC on July 08, 2018, 10:13:06 AM
There is a hardwired PCB (site is not allowing photos to be posted) in the tender but no mount for a speaker and no harness.
Try uploading your photos to a photohosting site. Also the locomotive that came in the black box with gold lettering never had any speaker or provisions for adding one.

NEC

Yep, it's the "NOT DCC ready" version. Speaker is going under the coal pile and I'm tracing the wiring out while I wait for the LEDs and lenses to arrive. When I left the hobby, it was just DC. Loving the learning curve  :)

Thanks, all, for the support.

ACY

Quote from: NEC on July 08, 2018, 04:20:56 PM
Yep, it's the "NOT DCC ready" version.
Every locomotive that came from the factory in that box either had DCC or was DCC ready just to be clear. So your locomotive either is not the locomotive that came in that box or someone rewired it or repaired it and removed the 8 pin socket. If it is the locomotive that came in that box then it was DCC ready at one point.