News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BEMF problems with Mountain 4-8-2

Started by OlddManWithHO, July 10, 2018, 02:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlddManWithHO

Gentlemen,

I have a Spectrum Mountain loco #727 which i have run well last few years.  I've put in a TCS WOW decoder and I'm having issues with this loco while trying to set CVs for low and high BEMF.  Chuff only goes quiet while at the 20mph mark.

Are there brushes in the motor that wear out and do we have replacement motors for this loco?

Roger

jonathan

Roger,

There are/were motors available for the Mountains through the parts department.  I bought one within the past year IIRC. I doubt that is your problem, though. Turns out, there was nothing wrong with my original motor either.

You may want to try a different brand of DCC/Sound. Due to proper decorum, I won't say anything disparaging. I will say experience has taught me that not all brands of decoders marry-up well with Bachmann equipment.  For what it's worth...

Regards,

Jonathan

OlddManWithHO

Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply.

This Mountain is pulling a heavier tender as I switched out its original one with a ten wheeler one.  This to get a bigger speaker in it.

Had similar issues with a 2-8-0 loco until I noticed I had added extra wheel pickoffs on the tender wheels.  Since the decoder I had installed (TCS) had a keep alive I didnt need it anymore and took off the extra hardware.  Loco ran and sounder better after that.

Just wondering if these motors go bad after several years.

Roger

OlddManWithHO

I see that the motor for the heavy Mountain loco is sold out.  How often do these get restocked?

Part # 82501-8817B

Roger

WoundedBear

Quote from: OlddManWithHO on July 11, 2018, 06:25:12 PM
I see that the motor for the heavy Mountain loco is sold out.  How often do these get restocked?

Part # 82501-8817B

Roger

I believe they sort of follow this schedule......... ;D

Sid

https://www.moongiant.com/Blue_Moon_Calendar.php

OlddManWithHO

Jon,

How hard is it to pull the flywheel and pulley gear off?

Roger

jonathan

You probably meant the other Jon, but:

I have a Gear Puller II from NWSL that works very well.  

The key is the motor axle diameter.  You will need a motor that has the same axle width as the original motor.  The flywheel and belt gear are unique, so you'll have to transfer them to the new motor.

NWSL has a myriad of motor choices. You should be able to find one that fits... ensuring you have measured the old motor accurately.

I have done these motor changes on a number of brass models and really old Varney/Mantua/Athearn locos. Never had to do it on a Bachmann loco.  I know they are stock motors, but I have never had a problem with one.  The one time I did a motor replacement on a Bachmann, turned out the motor was not the problem.  Just sayin'...  It was a heavy mountain.  I run my two constantly.  My problem is keeping the wheels/pick-ups clean from so much running.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  While the individual motor is sold out, I notice the "loco frame with motor" is still in stock.  I know it's more expensive, but may be a lot more convenient... again, just sayin'... jv