News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reefer/Refer?

Started by lirrman, July 13, 2018, 03:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirrman

I just did a search on e-bay for REFER cars, many came up.  Then, I tried a search for REEFER cars and a whole 'nother batch came up.   Never really noticed this before.  Is there a right & wrong way?

bbmiroku

The term is refrigerator (or refrigerated) car, or REEFER.  But I would like to REFER you to many websites that proves that internet people may nt be as smart as they want you to think.  Would you buy a washing machine from a place that has it as washin masheen?

oldline2

Using search almost everywhere is a crap shoot. What you type in is generally matched to what others have typed in at one time. Search only makes a match and doesn't usually think beyond that. When using it try all the possibilities for best results.

ex: N&W, N & W, N and W, Norfolk and Western, Norfolk & Western See what I mean? Each can bring up the same or different results. Sucks but it is what it is!

oldline2

Rick Abramson

Same applies to "consist." In RR use a train has a "KAHNSIST"; spelling it phonetically. Yet something may "KUNSIST" of the following.

rogertra

Quote from: Rick Abramson on September 11, 2018, 01:02:10 PM
Same applies to "consist." In RR use a train has a "KAHNSIST"; spelling it phonetically. Yet something may "KUNSIST" of the following.

There is no "A" nor even a "U" in "Con-sist"  :)

Cheers.

Rick Abramson

I specified I was spelling the 2 pronunciations of "consist" phonetically.

Trainman203

Southern:  "FONE- - - netic"

Non-Southern:  "fun-ETIC"

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

bbmiroku

wjstix

A pronunciation model railroad issue that bugs me is when people talk about installing a "lock-sound" decoder in their model engine, meaning they installed a Loksound decoder. In German "locomotive" is spelled with a "k" instead of a "c", so it's a long O. "Low-k sound", kinda like "loco-sound".

rogertra

Speaking of phonics, as we are going off topic, what's an "Erb"?  I hear it used in cooking a lot and wondered what it was.  "Erb"?

It's like commercials on TV and radio, everything is "two times" never "twice".   

Enough.

Cheers.

Trainman203

Another one I don't understand is the pronunciation of the company called "Kato."  To me, "KAY-toe" seems right but in every on line video it is "KAHH-toe."

When I was a kid , I thought "Mantua" was pronounced "MAN-twah." 😂😂

Terry Toenges

I've never seen the Green Hornet call for "KAHH-toe".
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

The correct way to say the Japanese name Kato is Kah-toh.

Neither Van Williams, who played the Green Hornet/Britt Reid, or Bruce Lee, who played Kato, or apparently the shows writers, were Japanese and got it wrong when they went with Kay-toh.

And the folks from Kato trains will set you straight that they don't work for the Green Hornet in a heartbeat if you get it wrong at a train show.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Terry Toenges

But in the U S, the vowel is pronounced as a long vowel and not a short one. Since Kato worked for the Green Hornet in the U S, it's only natural to say "kay-to".
In Mexico, sometimes the "r" is "rolled" to get that distinct sound. How many people in the U S (other than those for whom it is their native tongue like Mexican/Spanish/Latino) roll their r's when they pronounce some Mexican names. Do you?
Maybe 1 in 10 pronounce my name correctly with the "o" being silent and the "g" sounding like a "y". "Ten-yes" according to my Grandpa.
Feel like a Mogul.