Tightening the chains on the skeleton log cars

Started by dorsay, July 09, 2018, 07:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorsay

I have a couple of sets of the skeleton log cars and they'll look great with some weathering.  I want to be able to run them "empty" and with logs in my operating layout.  But the chains are way to loose, whether you use the supplied resin logs or real ones. The chains need enough slack to be able to put the logs on but how do you tighten them when the logs are on the car?  and what do you do with them when he cars are "empty"?  Someone must have done this before?

Thanks
David

Terry Toenges

You can very carefully bend the little curved wires holding the chains but if you do that more than a time or two they break. If you bend them out, you can unhook the links and move them up a link or two. Out of three cars, I broke two of the hooks doing it that way so be warned. I ended up just super gluing them after I put real logs on them.
I haven't done anything with them empty so I don't know how to handle the chains there.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

I've used a loop of thin elastic thread to simulate a 'turnbuckle' to keep tension on chains over a load.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Quote from: Len on July 09, 2018, 02:51:40 PM
I've used a loop of thin elastic thread to simulate a 'turnbuckle' to keep tension on chains over a load.

Len

Hell of an idea. I think I'm going to give that a try on the next set of skels I do.  ;D

Right now I have loaded ones and empties and just switch out the whole car. Here's a few pics.....HO mind you. I just pinned the chains as snugly as I could once I got the logs stacked. Nothing is glued. The slack is a bit noticeable on one or two of the chains, but the overall effect is convincing. Even on the prototypes, the chains weren't always pulled "guitar string" taut. As long as the bunk arms couldn't swing out too far, all was good.

These are the best pics I have of the cars at the moment.

Sid

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I've been told to drape the chain over all but the top log. When the apex log is put in place it locks the others in.
It certainly works on our display layout!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

WoundedBear

Quote from: the Bach-man on July 09, 2018, 11:38:30 PM
Dear All,
I've been told to drape the chain over all but the top log. When the apex log is put in place it locks the others in.
It certainly works on our display layout!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Would it be too much of an effort to post a photo and show us what you're doing?

Sid

Len

Looks good Sid! I do the same with like numbered loads and empties, like what I do with coal hoppers, with my log cars.

Is there a 'chain box' on your cars to put the chains in for the return trip? Or are they just looped around and left hanging?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Len.....

On the empties I have taken to just draping the chains over and around the bunks, whatever looks OK and keeps clear of the wheels.

:Dre's a shot of my empty disconnects.

Sid

dorsay

Mr Bach-man, I'm afraid the idea you've been given still leaves some slack in the chains which makes the chains appear pointless.  But thanks guys for your suggestions, I'll try them out.

the Bach-man

Dear Dorsay,
Well, it works with my Bachmann cars; the ones in the pictures are LGB...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

WoundedBear

Quote from: the Bach-man on July 15, 2018, 10:10:25 PM
Dear Dorsay,
Well, it works with my Bachmann cars; the ones in the pictures are LGB...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Bach-man......are you referring to my photos?

Sid

WoundedBear

Hmmmmm. 4 days now, Bach-man has been online, but still no answer.

4id

the Bach-man

Hi, Sid,
Yes.
Just returned from a three day Va-ca in Maine.
I guess those aren't those LGB cars...
As to tightening, I get the chains as tight as possible over five logs, then drop the sixth on top to firm up the load.
Works every time!
Best, the Bach-man

WoundedBear

Thanks for the response. Glad you recognized that those are not large scale models.

The skeletons are the Rivarrosi cars, and a the disconnects are from Kadee. All being pulled by a Bachmann Shay.

Sid