News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new consolidation does not work.

Started by bob kaplan, July 21, 2018, 12:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Just got the new sound value consolidation.   After a few minutes of run time, when I placed it in reverse, it immediately went to the fastest speed though the control was set at zero and went off the track.  Now it no longer responds to the address of 3 so I tried resetting cv 8 to 8 on the main.    But no results.   The forward direction has no response to the controller and the reverse direction has an extreme high rate of chuff...but the engine does NOT move or respond other than the whistle, light, and bell.   Any suggestions before it is returned to Bachmann on Monday.   Thanks.

Trainman203

After the cv8 to 8 reset, did you cut track power to the engine for 10 seconds?  If you don't do that the reset won't "take".  You can also do it by rocking both engine and tender off of one rail together for ten seconds, then putting them back down on the rail.  The headlight should blink a certain number of times acknowledging the reset, your paperwork with the engine should specify.  I've had that crazy out of control speed thing happen too and the reset fixed it. 

bob kaplan

Thanks for the reply Trainman....I did as you said, but there were no changes....darn.

Trainman203

Check the plug between engine and tender.  Take it out and very carefully make certain it goes back in correctly and securely. 

Something makes me think you are not doing the rocking thing right... I've had almost the same thing happen and breaking contact with one rail for several seconds after selecting 8 for cv8 always did it.  Check and see if cv 32 - 2 might do something.

Trainman203

You need to do the contact break with cv32 also.

bob kaplan

ok....thanks...I will give it a try again...and remove the plug.   after resetting the cv8, I did remove the engine from the track entirely and replace it....but maybe the rocking thing upsets a few electrons somewhere... ;)   Anything is worth a try....if it goes out, they will have it for 6 weeks.   :'(

bob kaplan

Thanks Trainman.....no luck.   I even stood on my left foot, patted my tummy in a counterclockwise motion as I rocked the engine.   Not successful.  I guess it goes back Monday.  Removing that plug in the new consolidation is a tricky proposition.   ugh.

Trainman203

Yes sounds like service dept.  maybe call first and see if they have a  suggestion.  I've found them to be very accommodating on the phone.

Is it a single white plug or two orange ones?  Is the headlight nice and bright and white? Or like s dim orange spot?

bob kaplan

Two white plugs....the head light is dim and yellow.   I think this is a new model just released.   I obtained it from Trainworld which list the item as a new release.

Trainman203

It's the same old consolidation from 25 years ago with new road names/numbers and an anorexic sound decoder called Sound Value.  It's still a great engine.  I have 7 or 8 from the past and may yet get one of these.

bob kaplan

Huh????..... I just read a reply from someone about returning the engine to TRAINWORLD...and I left to go to another room...and when I returned and before I could respond, it is no longer there!

Anyway...I have several Bachmann engines and a couple of BLI engines.   With both manufactures, I  have had to return engines to the manufactures.  This is a bit discouraging having returned to HO scale just a year ago.  I moved and had to go to the smaller scale from Large Scale.   Of course all my Large Scale engines were Bachmann products, but they did not have the DCC technology.  Most operated properly when first used.   Is DCC this unreliable....or am I that careless in my use of a delicate product??
thanks for the comments.

WoundedBear

You need to read Trainworld's return policies a little closer.

ANYTHING to do with DCC must go back to the manufacturer.

Sid

bob kaplan

Yup. I remember reading that "Bear."   Thank you.  It is frustrating that it takes so long to have a new engine repair/replaced, however.   Will send it back on Monday.

Trainman203

I do all my resets in OPS mode with NCE pro cab wireless and never have had a prob, always worked fine.  Programming tracks are a holdover from early DCC technology that I myself find cumbersome and really unnecessary since BLI introduced a really cool address finder/changer.  Tsunami2 's don't need a programming track either, a big step forward.

WoundedBear

Quote from: RAILSPLITTER on July 22, 2018, 04:20:34 PM
Quote from: WoundedBear on July 22, 2018, 10:22:58 AM
You need to read Trainworld's return policies a little closer.

ANYTHING to do with DCC must go back to the manufacturer.

Sid
Sid, The item was just purchased and it does not run. Seems to me they the dealer needs to check it out to only determine abuse,neglect ect... since the OP is not a qualified repair person. They are responsible for shipping also. They can deal with the manufacturer selling 2 nd line items to them that fail day 1. Had a few involving Bachmann products. Sure the banks would agree also.Even Pay Pal. He can get his funds back ,or a replacement..

Jon

Ya, good luck with that. Doesn't the paperwork that comes with Bachmann's stuff even say to "not return to dealer" ? Everything in my Spectrum boxes says to return to Bachmann.

Sid