EXTERNAL SOUND AMPLIFICATION OF LOCO SOUND DECODER TSUNAMI

Started by Casey Jones, JR., July 21, 2018, 03:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Casey Jones, JR.

i'M IN MY SEVENTIES AND HEARING IMPAIRED.  HOW CAN I HOOK UP AN EXTERNAL SOUND SYSTEM SO THAT I CAN HEAR LOCO SOUNDS BETTER?

dutchbuilder

The only thing i can come up with are microphones and an amplifier.

Ton

Trainman203

Another importer has locomotives with sound systems that send sounds to large woofers set at successive locations under the layout so the sound sort of follows the train.  It can get very loud I  am told.  The code of conduct doesn't alllow discussion of other companies products here.  If you google Model railroad sound  systems it ought to come up.  Hint:  they are located on the east coast of Florida.

Terry Toenges

It would interesting if you could wire some type of telephone circuitry into the loco to transmit the sound to your phone.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Another option would be to look for an MRC 312 Sound System on eBay, Craigslist, etc.

The sound wouldn't be coming from the locomotives, but the steam and diesels sounds are there. And the amplifier can be cranked up pretty loud.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Quote from: Len on July 22, 2018, 12:30:03 AM
Another option would be to look for an MRC 312 Sound System on eBay, Craigslist, etc.

The sound wouldn't be coming from the locomotives, but the steam and diesels sounds are there. And the amplifier can be cranked up pretty loud.

Len

Why do you want the sound loud?   I'm 9 feet from the open door of my model room and even though the railway is powered, I can't hear anything.  Take a look at on line videos of trains and judge sound volume from them.  Loud is not always better.  Mine are set so other than bell and horn/whistle, they are barely audible from four feet away. When I operate the railway, I don't need the rest of the house, or the neighbours, to hear them.  :-) 

Cheers

rogertra

Quote from: Casey Jones, JR. on July 21, 2018, 03:31:50 PM
i'M IN MY SEVENTIES AND HEARING IMPAIRED.  HOW CAN I HOOK UP AN EXTERNAL SOUND SYSTEM SO THAT I CAN HEAR LOCO SOUNDS BETTER?

The best bet would be a system to which you can connect an audio headset.  Perhaps someone here know of one?

Cheers

dutchbuilder

What about a Bluetooth TX instead of a speaker in the locomotive.
Then you could use a smart phone or a PC to receive and listen with headphones.

Ton

Trainman203

I like sound systems that can be turned up loud or turned down soft to suit the operator.  I'm somewhat hard of hearing too and find in particular the last Spectrum HO 4-4-0's to be unable to achieve volumes that match other engines .  When running those 4-4-0s with other Spectrum engines I have to turn all others down so they reasonably match.

Real trains are loud.  I like my engines  loud. The new Tsunami2 installed in a Spectrum 4-4-0 can be turned up to meet stock volumes in other engines.  It's better to have extra gas in the tank and choose not to use it than to run out when you need it.

James in FL

Many options to choose from...do a quick Google search.
I guess it all depends on how much you want (it) to spend.

Here's but another option:
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/kato-ho-n-22101-1-analog-sound-box-with-emd-1st-generation-diesel-sound-card/

Other sound cards are avaliable.

Good luck

Terry Toenges

KATO's is interesting but Model Train Stuff doesn't list any steam cards yet.
Feel like a Mogul.

James in FL

Trackbump

Replacing the speakers in the sound value locomotives with higher amp rated speakers if room permits will make a huge difference in volume output.If there is not enough room the new sugar cube speakers available today have quite a bit more output then the traditional cone type speaker of the same size. The trick with those type of speakers is the enclosure size and material used. A metal enclosure is the worst thing that can be used for the sound fidelity,but is cheep and easier for most manufacturers to use. Wood is the best for resonating the sound. Reason why some stringed instruments are far superior then others in the wood material used. Not volume you want it is clarity of high quality digital sound files that are in the sound value decoder ,but cannot be herd do to the fact no manufacturer does the speaker output side of it as well as it can be done even with quality speakers being used this would take the cost by doing this by hand with precision for each unit extremely high. So would a radio transmitter in each loco to a receiver to amplify the sound throughout the layout. Another model railroad company does this ,but I do not believe it is available in the aftermarket for general installations.  Bachmann's Wy-Fi  may have similar expansion to this if used in a different way then designed.

Terry Toenges

James - Googling "Kato sound cards" doesn't bring up much. It's not something I'm going to use anyway.
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

Quote from: Casey Jones, JR. on July 21, 2018, 03:31:50 PM
i'M IN MY SEVENTIES AND HEARING IMPAIRED.  HOW CAN I HOOK UP AN EXTERNAL SOUND SYSTEM SO THAT I CAN HEAR LOCO SOUNDS BETTER?

Welcome.
\Very easy, well for me. I did it some years ago. I am seventy seven now.
Look at the link and scroll down a ways to the bottom. Bookmark the link. He has a lot of good DCC info. He use to post in the MRH forums but is retired to concentrate on his layout.
This fellow use to own an on line DCC supplier and worked very closely with the SoundTraxx company until he sold the business. Check Litchfield Station and see if they still sell the transformer, the company he owned at one time. I use to buy my DCC stuff from them some years ago.
Connect the tip to your sound system.
If they do not stock it anymore, you need an 8 ohm to 1000 ohm signal transformer. Mouser Electronics sells them for a few dollars. A company I use to buy from. Shipping was not to bad some years ago. Google the companies.

http://mrdccu.com/curriculum/soundtraxx/tsunami.html

Rich