News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Popping Smoke unit?

Started by Bel-Air boy 57, July 25, 2018, 10:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bel-Air boy 57

So I've just received one of those old collectors exclusive Bachmann Norfolk and Western #600 class "J", so its obviously quiet old I've read the maintenance manual. My question being that the smoke unit seems to pop every now and again before returning to "normal" order, during the time it pops its sprays some smoke fluid about, I'm unsure if this is normal behavior for the smoke unit considering the part in the manual is numbered "2911" and no other smoke unit has acted in this was. (sorry for any unnecessary information) Any help would be very much appreciated. :)

-Cheers, Gage

Len

That's more or less normal behavior for that smoke unit. There's no wick, it's basically just a pot with a heater in it. And if the pot gets overfilled the fluid boils and pops and spatters all over the place.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Bel-Air boy 57

Thank you for your help Len  :D

-Cheers, Gage

Trackbump

Len

It's not really designed for a wick, and trying to jam one into it could damage the wiring.

Personally, I just disconnect the things. Except for the old American Flyer HO locos, that had a piston to force air through the smoke unit for a puffing effect, the output doesn't look right to me. And the residue from the smoke and spatter just adds to the track cleaning hassles.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

A number of us don't think the smoke looks very realistic.   Others report that the smoke settles and deposits oily residue on the layout.  I have an engine from another importer with a smoke unit that I leave turned off.

Trackbump

Well if any are not wanted I will take them if you have no use for them.

Adam