News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-4 Berkshire Gears Slipping?

Started by Hexxoid36, August 03, 2018, 12:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hexxoid36

I have a Bachmann 2-8-4 Berkshire locomotive that has been working fine, untill recently, when the gears started to slip. When I put 5 or more cars behind it it makes a "cccrrrccccrrrccc" sound, and the wheels dont turn. I dissasembled the loco, but could not find the problem. All screws were in tight, and everything was greased/oiled.

Please help me fix this problem!!   :-\   :(

WoundedBear

About all it could be is a stripped, cracked or split gear somewhere. You are going to have to check each one for hairline cracks.

When it's apart, apply power and then put a load on the mechanism and see if you can find a at is slipping. Bachmann parts has lots of stuff for these models.

Sid

Hexxoid36

Thanks for the reply.

I applied power to the mechanism when apart, and put load on each of the pairs of the wheels. It did not want to slip when I applied pressure to the main driving wheels, but slipped when I applied pressure to the farther- away wheels. I think It may be a worn down gear.

Hexxoid36

Quote from: WoundedBear on August 03, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
About all it could be is a stripped, cracked or split gear somewhere. You are going to have to check each one for hairline cracks.

When it's apart, apply power and then put a load on the mechanism and see if you can find a at is slipping. Bachmann parts has lots of stuff for these models.

Sid

I made some progress dissasembling, and took off the main drivers off the valve gear. Both gears seem to be flawless, no cracks, strips, anything. When I applied 9v power to the loco and pressed on the wheels, only when I applied medium pressure could I get the gears to slip. It seems that the wheels and axle aren't seated further down enough to mesh and make full contact with the other gear. I don't know why this would be, as this loco has been working fine for me for a while! The worm gear and first gear DO NOT slip for sure, if a gear slips, its the one on the axle of the main driving wheels. All the screws were tight on the locomotive when assembled, and only exhibited this problem when I attempted to pull a load yesterday.

Please help with this problem as its getting kind of frustrating.  :(

Trackbump

Understand your frustration especially after sitting unused .Did you check the gear on the main drive axle to see if it is spinning on the axle with a little lite twisting force? Sometimes they slip on the axle if they have a hairline crack in them. Or the isolater bushings in the wheel come loose and the dive axle will spin in the wheel but not turn the man drive wheel with the gear. Need the bottom apart and see if the wheel moves on the axle ,or the gear. Good light,foam cradle to set the loco on upside down, and a good magnifier lense or glasses help even with good sight .

Adam

Hexxoid36

I fixed it!   ;D ;D

All it was was a screw holding in the frame to the chassis. It was loose, causing the gears to not fully mesh, and thus grinding against each other.

Thanks for the help everyone!  :)

Trackbump

Thanks for sharing this. Now at least I know of another on this forum that can fix something when they have never experienced the problem. And post it Good job.
;D

Adam