News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiper fix for 4-6-2

Started by Tdspeedracer, August 05, 2018, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdspeedracer

The wipers on these rest in the flange way and get bent up on switches. I've straightened them 3 times now, the last working for 45 seconds before again shorting out on every switch. This appears to be a flawed design. Has Bachmann issued an upgraded part for this, or does anyone have a suggestion as to how to remedy this? I looked at possibly flipping them over by switching sides, but they are notched for the gear, so that is not an option.

Any he!p would be appreciated

Trackbump

Seems my club member had the same issue with his and he could not get it right that was surprising since he was a build engineer for GM USA. He sent it back to service and they actually replaced it and then he had the same problem,Sent it back again and they gave him something else of equal value. So apparently they grow on lemon trees without a upgrade .

Adam

WoundedBear

Can you not simply snip them off an eight of an inch shorter?

Sid

Trainman203

Boy I sure would like to see a picture of these Pacific wipers.  This issu is keeping me from buying an otherwise beautiful engine.

I have an old Spectrum 4-8-2 with down ward turned phosphor bronze driver wipers that give me no problem.  If the Pacific looks like it underneath I'll get one.

ACY

Quote from: Trainman203 on August 06, 2018, 06:23:44 PMBoy I sure would like to see a picture of these Pacific wipers.  This issu [sic] is keeping me from buying an otherwise beautiful engine.
I have the new Soundvalue Pacific in NYC, I ran mine quite a bit without any problems. I have not looked at the wipers because mine ran around the club layout for 4 or 5 hours without any problems.

rich1998

Trainman203

I've seen those before.  They are not helpful nor fully descriptive.  What I would like to see is a photograph of the underside of the assembled engine showing how far down those wipers actually project on the drivers.

My mountain engine wipers snagged here and there at first but a little field shaping fixed them.  Downward exposed wipers is actually good maintenance wise, easy to clean, but these appear to be a little too long, 

Tdspeedracer

Quote from: Trainman203 on August 07, 2018, 08:09:03 AM
I've seen those before.  They are not helpful nor fully descriptive.  What I would like to see is a photograph of the underside of the assembled engine showing how far down those wipers actually project on the drivers.

My mountain engine wipers snagged here and there at first but a little field shaping fixed them.  Downward exposed wipers is actually good maintenance wise, easy to clean, but these appear to be a little too long, 

In comparison to a clock.. roughly around the 25 and 35 minute mark.

Trainman203

Betwween 25 and 35 on a clock means 30, straight up and down, dragging the rail.  No good.

rich1998

From what I could see in the second photo, they are almost straight down.

Rich

Trainman203

We ran my friend's USRA heavy mountain, with the same downward turned power wipers, today on my heavily ballasted and weeded rail. No prob, ran great.