News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jupiter 4-4-0 (new tooling) as loco 6

Started by edpb, August 07, 2018, 03:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edpb

I have a CP Jupiter 4-4-0 (new tooling) and I'm running it with a MRC Tech 6 controller with the walkaround controller.  I can program the Jupiter as loco 1-5 and it goes forward and reverse and buttons 0-3 all work, but if I program it as loco 6 it will not move.  it sits on the track making steam idling noises, and buttons 0-3 all work.  Forward and reverse do not work -- it can't move.

After programming Jupiter as loco 6 I hit button 0.  I got a short blast from the whistle and the light came on, and the idling noises got much louder.  Just another strange thing.  Then I made it loco 3 and all was normal.

My UP 119 4-4-0 (new tooling) is the same.  As loco 6 it can't move. I don't know if the trouble is in the loco or in the controller.  Talking to MRC is not so easy, so I'm starting here.  Any ideas?

Bucksco

Try a different control system to confirm whether these is a problem with the loco or control system.

edpb

Thanks, Mr. Yardmaster.  I don't have a different controller, but your suggestion gave me the idea (why couldn't I think of it?) to try a different loco.  I tried an Atlas loco with a Quantum Titan decoder and got the same result.  The loco will not move as loco #6.  No doubt -- it's the controller.

Len

The Tech 6 was originally designed to only operate DCC locos set for factory default address '3'. In fact, the instructions for what to do if a DCC loco doesn't operate resets to loco to factory defaults:

QuoteWhenever it does not respond, press the SHIFT key and then press 9,9. [Press 9 once and then 9 again]. This will reset your loco to factory default within 5 seconds. Note, if you plan to use a locomotive with a DCC system, you will need to reprogram the loco using the DCC system after it was used it the TECH 6.

Including other addresses was a later addition, and I suspect the bit in the instructions about "6 addresses" is actually 1 DC only loco or up to 5 DCC locos set to an address between 1 and 5.

For just a bit more money you could have gotten a true DCC controller, such as an NCE Power Cab, and gotten a lot more flexibility.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

edpb

Well, Len, way back when I bought the Tech 6 there were a lot of things that I didn't know.  There still are, but maybe not quite so many.  About the loco 6 question, though, the later addition to the Tech 6 was a walkaround controller that plugs into the Tech 6, and according to its instructions it can program locos as 1 through 6.  In the past I have sometimes run a loco as #6 with the walkaround, but at this time it's not possible with my walkaround.  Nowadays when I program a loco as loco 6 with the walkaround, the lights, bell, and horn/whistle all respond, but it will not move.  Doug at MRC customer service does not know why that is so.  He thinks that there is a CV that can solve the problem, but I am ignorant about CVs and not ready to dive into that subject at this time.  I'm happy with sound buttons 0, 1, 2,and 3 on locos that go as 1-5.  That's enough for me right now.

Thanks for your interest.