News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2018 New Product Announcements

Started by Hamish K, August 10, 2018, 07:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

As far as I can see from a quick look the only new On30 a nnouncements are the reefers in new colors. I have mixed feelings on this. While something brand new would have been nice, that Bachmann are continuing to re-release items in new versions shows that On30 has not been abandoned. Little brand new appears for any scale. The 0-6-0 is shown as a previously announced item.

Hamish

p51

Yeah, I was looking through the announcements at the NTS to see if anything cool in On30 was coming out from anyone.
Nothing but crickets chirping heard instead.  :-[
I have a sinking feeling that ever since Lee Riley's passing, Bachmann has been slowly backing away from the On30 table.
-Lee

jkemp

Quote from: p51 on August 16, 2018, 06:13:51 PM
Yeah, I was looking through the announcements at the NTS to see if anything cool in On30 was coming out from anyone.
Nothing but crickets chirping heard instead.  :-[
I have a sinking feeling that ever since Lee Riley's passing, Bachmann has been slowly backing away from the On30 table.

We've already had several new offerings from Bachmann this year, both motive power, business cars and MOW cars.   I'm not interested in all of those, but I have purchase more than half of the new 2018 offerings.

I'm not a manufacturer, so this comment is pure speculation on my part, but as each business year passes, and with new items being brought up for sale, I'm guessing it must be harder to determine what is the best option for new products each successive year.

Or, approaching your comment from a different angle, is there something specific you're waiting for Bachmann to release, but they haven't?   It doesn't, or at least shouldn't, hurt to let others know of your wants and needs, and be a bit of a squeaky wheel.

Not sure what specifically you need, but I hope Bachmann, or some manufacture begins production of it in the near future.

p51

Quote from: jkemp on August 16, 2018, 08:42:01 PMOr, approaching your comment from a different angle, is there something specific you're waiting for Bachmann to release, but they haven't?   It doesn't, or at least shouldn't, hurt to let others know of your wants and needs, and be a bit of a squeaky wheel.
Funny you'd mention this. I won't name names, but a very nice gentleman from Bachmann was at the Portland NTS is 2015 and I gave him some photos of stuff I thought might sell, such as a ET&WNC-marked tank car (just new lettering on the undec one they already sell) as well as some of the modifications I'd made on their other existing stuff that would easily go with their ET&WNC marked ten-wheelers (they make 4 different loco road numbers on their ten-wheelers for that road name but not one piece of rolling stock lettered for that RR).  ???
I even offered to make him a set of decals so he could built a prototype as he said it sounded like a good idea to him as well. I did sent him a computer file of the graphics I used to make those decals (on a undec tank car) via email when he asked.
Generally, though, there's not much they can make that I'd want as a model a specific line. Still, even though I find the Bachmann On30 coaches too short for the prototype I model, I'd probably buy a couple of them if they offered them as ET&WNC coaches as well...
But just because I have what I need, doesn't mean there's not a lot of room for Bachmann to move.
An Army 2-8-2 in On30 would be great (I'd buy one for sure) as would any accurate WP&Y locomotive.
-Lee

jkemp

Quote from: p51 on August 17, 2018, 02:18:03 PM
Funny you'd mention this. I won't name names, but a very nice gentleman from Bachmann was at the Portland NTS is 2015 and I gave him some photos of stuff I thought might sell, such as a ET&WNC-marked tank car (just new lettering on the undec one they already sell) as well as some of the modifications I'd made on their other existing stuff that would easily go with their ET&WNC marked ten-wheelers (they make 4 different road numbers for that road name but not one piece of rolling stock lettered for that RR).  ???
I even offered to make him a set of decals so he could built a prototype as he said it sounded like a good idea to him as well. I did sent him a computer file of the graphics I used to make those decals (on a undec tank car) via email when he asked.

Understood.  I came, just a few years back, from struggling with HOn3.  I'm very much both a narrow gauge person and a geared locomotive person.  It took me years to accumulate a small rooster of 1970's vintage HOn3 brass, geared locomotives.  As one might expect, they looked great and were very expensive.  Unfortunately, they ran like one might expect that 1970's vintage brass would.  I'm not skilled enough, and could never find anyone I could pay to bring those item up to what might meet 21st century expectations.  And here I am.

Among a bunch of other Bachmann On30 motive power options, I own 2 Shays, 3 Climax's, and a Heisler.  They all run much better then my 1970 vintage brass.  I feel exceedingly spoiled.

I've also purchased a bit of MOW items, business cars and pass. cars, mostly Bachmann but also a bunch of other vendors.  What I want that isn't directly available, I've been able to modify, and create thru paint and decals (referencing your tank car reference above).

Generally, though, there's not much they can make that I'd want as a model a specific line. Still, even though I find the Bachmann On30 coaches too short for the prototype I model, I'd probably buy a couple of them if they offered them as ET&WNC coaches as well...

I understand your comments regarding car lengths and prototypes.

I guess I'm at the other end of the spectrum here.  I appreciate rivet counters, they keep vendors on the straight and narrow.  But that's not me.  Layout wise, I'm very much a a 1970's vintage free lance modeler.  Same for business cars.  I *thought* I pretty much had all the cars I needed and would just buy new stuff here and there.  Then, when the 18' stuff was released, I became enamored with that also.  I literally, just received a large box today from FedEx ground stuff full of Bachmann 18' business cars.  Prototypical or not, I think those are great.

But just because I have what I need, doesn't mean there's not a lot of room for Bachmann to move.
An Army 2-8-2 in On30 would be great (I'd buy one for sure) as would any accurate WP&Y locomotive.

There seem to be, disportionally, a large number of these "Bachmann seems to be pulling away from On30 since Lee Riley's death", and I guess there is something driving this that is just oblivious to me.

Repeating myself, coming from HOn3, I do feel spoiled given the easy acquisition of geared narrow gauge locomotives, but, after some thought, If I had the opportunity to whisper in Bachmann's ear and suggest a new item, I think that my request would be a Class A Climax.

thanks for sharing your tank car and 2-8-2 Army comment.

p51

Quote from: jkemp on August 17, 2018, 05:14:56 PM
There seem to be, disportionally, a large number of these "Bachmann seems to be pulling away from On30 since Lee Riley's death", and I guess there is something driving this that is just oblivious to me.
Lee Riley, as I understand it, was the driving force behind On30 with Bachmann, and was the primary reason they made the Baldwin (ET&WNC) ten-wheelers in G and On30. For that, I'll always be grateful for that and just wish I could have thanked him in person before he passed.
I've read that he was getting ready to retire when he passed away (a rumor I heard was he was at his desk when it happened), so maybe he passing was a moot point as far as how Bachmann was going to handle On30 in the future.
But the fact that Bachmann named one of the excursion cars for him say a great deal of how he was valued by the company.
One large piece of freight at the main depot on my On30 layout (on a cart) is addressed in large stencil letters to a "L Riley" in honor of him.
-Lee