News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

O scale 2 rail Track

Started by peterherron, December 11, 2007, 02:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterherron

I want to add a short standard gauge line to my On30 layout for Interchange purposes.  I am curious how small a rail height the RTR (2-rail) equipment say from Atlas will handle?  My On30 is happy on code 70 but I'm guessing that is too small for standard gauge O scale cars. I'm thinking of a small section of dual-gauge track so the largest I could go would be code 100.  Any ideas out there??  As its going to be quite short, I am not averse to handlaying it.

Thanks

Peter

Guilford Guy

Code 100 will work will for representing the 60 lbs rail commonly used on siding in the steam era. You may want to step it up to Code 125.
Alex

ebtnut

You are OK with Code 100 under O standard gauge.  As noted, it represents fairly light rail (I think it is closer to 85 than 65 lb.)  I used Code 125 for my dual gauge, though if I were to do it again, I would opt for Code 100--building dual gauge turnouts in Code 125 was a bit of a chore!  Note this, though.  The flangeway widths and depths for O standard gauge are WAY bigger than the On30/HO standards.  If you build full dual gauge turnouts, you will have problems with the compromises you have to make to get both to run through the flangeways and frogs. 

If you are going to just put in a short length for display, and not run any locos, consider getting Proto48 wheels for your rolling stock, which are much closer in profile to the On30 wheels.  I believe NWSL sells Proto48 wheelsets in both traditional (5 foot) and prototype (4' 8 1/2") O scale track gauges. 

glennk28

For many years I had a portable O Scale 2-rail layout that I took to shows, O Scale West, etc.  Track was Rivarossi with code 108 rail. I ran just about everything on it--from Atlas diesels and cars, to ancient Lobaugh and All Nation, to NWSL and PFM brass locos.  If you are careful in laying O Scale track with code 100 rail, you should have no problems.  gj

peterherron

Thank you all for the input.  I had given proto 48 some thought last night for a couple of reasons.  The 4' 8 1/2" track gauge would make the On30 track "look" bigger and the small flanges would definitely be better for both code 100 and IF I make some dual gauge track/switches (switches unlikely as I remember my first attempts!!!)

Thanks again,

Peter