Frontgate Holiday Express Coach/BINGO Gondola Info./Solved!/Thank You Bachmann!

Started by Imagination Station Kids, September 10, 2018, 05:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imagination Station Kids

Hello,  ;D
I run a non profit model railroad and train safety program for disadvantaged children and the general public across the west coast and northwest areas of the U.S. Our program allows children to run HO and G scale trains free of charge at, children's homes, schools, pediatric hospitals, churches, fairs and train shows and has done so for 28 years to date.

FIRST AND FOREMOST

:D
I would like to express our sincere appreciation to Bachmann Trains owners, staff, sales department, parts department, shipping, and anyone else we may be missing for helping our program enrich the lives of millions of kids, families and the General Public for 25 plus years at no charge to them, EVER. Through donations of product and parts to keep the trains running for all these years, Bachmann Trains has been instrumental in providing a unique opportunity for kids (and kids at heart) to engage in hands-on operation of LARGE-SCALE and HO model train equipment at hundreds of events across the West Coast and Northwest areas of the United States for all this time. They have not only heled us share the joy of model railroading with new generations but also have been the biggest part of keeping the hobby alive and at the same time they have helped us keep kids safe around real trains through our railroad safety education program.
Imagination Station Kids On Track Model Railroad And Train Safety Program could not have offered these rare and unique opportunities to kids and the public without the help of Bachmann Trains, who has gone above and beyond what any other company in the United States has ever done for the hobby and public.
Our staff, volunteers and myself would like to say; Thank You! to all of you for your hard work, dedication, donations and for caring so much for the children of our communities, their families and all those who partake in the hobby of model railroading in general.
We appreciate all of you and all you've done!
Wishing you all the best in the years to come!
From all of us at, Imagination Station Kids On Track
E. Helena, Montana  :D

Here is a short video of kids running the circus train donated by Bachmann a few years back. Check our other videos on this You Tube channel also.

https://youtu.be/G9GhXnQ8F4g

https://youtu.be/jTiQOf5vb-E

Grizzly Flats Train For Kids To Run
https://youtu.be/qwnVzEEmJHE

Our program was donated these 2 cars of which I cannot find any historical information about their production that I can share with the kids and general public we serve. I was curious if anyone can give us information about the number of cars produced each and what they were for, especially the BINGO car. Does anyone know what BINGO stands for? I get a lot of folks asking me and I don't know how to answer them.
Here is a video of them in operation behind our refurbished William K. Vanderbilt locomotive.
Side note; In the video you will also see an example of Barry's Big Trains 2-8-0 Bumble Bee, Durango And Silverton locomotive drive conversion in operation.
Appreciate any help and Thank you!  Enjoy!
Ken c/o Imagination Station Kids On Track Model Railroad And Train Safety Program
E.Helena, MT  :D

Apologize for lack of photos but we tried to upload photos for hours with continual errors, so all we have is the video. Photo posting does not work.

https://youtu.be/AWx7F5M5mhk

Len

The passenger car is a "Big Hauler" car: BACHMANN G 23991 FRONTGATE HOLIDAY EXPRESS PASSENGER CAR LV1141
The graphics were a limited run for the Times Square Ball Drop Centennial in 2007. No idea how many were produced. One item of note about the Centennial, in celebration New York went 'green' for the ball drop, using only LED lights.

Since it was for a specific train show, I suspect the run of BINGO gondolas was even more limited. The only thing I can think of it might stand for is: Bachmann Industries N???? G???? Ontario. Narrow Gauge for the N G makes the most sense, but someone from Bachmann would have to confirm that.

To post pictures you have to use a picture hosting site, e.g., Flickr, Facebook, etc., and link the pics URL using image tags, [i m g][/i m g], only without the spaces.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Imagination Station Kids

Len,
You know what's interesting about your statement in regards to New York going green? The passenger car lights up along the top windows in green. I thought that was kinda cool. Don't know if you can see it in the video though.
Your information on these 2 cars is probably pretty close if not almost right on but I'm hoping someone from Bachmann may read this post and can verify or tell us the meaning of BINGO. I believe you may be right about it though.I get a lot of folks wanting to know about it and it would be of great interest to know the production numbers of each car also, as mentioned above.
Thanks for the information about posting photos, I'll make sure and try it in the future. For now maybe the video will suffice. Not sure if you can modify or edit posts after the original posting. Thanks so much for the reply, it helps a lot.
Ken/ Imagination Station Kids On Track

WoundedBear

The only acronym for BINGO that I ever knew was

Big International Non-governmental Organization

And I am pretty sure it's got nothing to do with Ontario.

Sid

Imagination Station Kids

Sid,
Yea, I think your right. I don't believe that's what it stands for and I  am reasonably sure it doesn't have anything to do with the dog in the kids song either.
Terry,
Interesting!! Doesn't seem like they came to any conclusion on that post either. I did leave a message with Carol at Bachmann for some guidance on this. Hopefully I will find out something there???
Maybe someone knows somewhere.
Thanks guys! 
Ken

the Bach-man

Dear All.
I did the passenger car for an exclusive catalog set for Frontgate.

The text on the gondola reads:

WELCOMES   YOU TO THE   18TH ANNUAL   BIG TRAIN SHOW   ONTARIO,    CALIFORNIA

The BINGO looks like vinyl lettering; note how it doesn't settle into the depressions between the boards.
I don't recall doing this car, and have no idea about the acronym.  My guess is that it was done locally.

Have fun!
the Bach-man

Imagination Station Kids

Not sure if this photo thing will work or not but if not, I will say that I looked at the car up close and it's definitely a factory job and not vinyl which shows up very well in the photos. Try the links, if the photos fail here.
This car came in its own box but I would really like to know more about the Frontgate set.
Appreciate the help!
Ken

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgx2d0l076fmo49/20180911_032002.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wqa2rmbx4jvrhx/20180911_031828.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9kqr2xpgc4bpt2/20180911_032103.jpg?dl=0

Terry Toenges

Now that the Bach Man has weighed in, I guess "BINGO" will forever remain an unsolved mystery.
I was Googling around last night using words like "Ontario", "Gondola", "Big Train Show" and "BINGO" but no luck.
Feel like a Mogul.

Imagination Station Kids

I guess we were doing the same thing last night. Yeah, I was searching around the internet to see if I could find anything further also, however I to didn't have any luck either.
There is some hope however, as I spoke to a representative from Bachmann today (whose name I won't mention without consent) and she informed me that she would go do some digging around, to see what she could find out.
She said they do a lot of special runs, so I'm sure someone knows something about it.  She will do some extra checking for us and email me if she can find out anything and I'll post it here immediately after I find out.
Maybe we'll solve the BINGO mystery eventually??? Hopefully!
Appreciate everyone's efforts and help!
Ken

the Bach-man

Well, I have to agree- it does look like printing.
Still have no idea what BINGO means...
Keep on Trackin"!
the Bach-man

Len

Considering 45mm gauge track in 1:22.5 scale represents European 1 meter narrow gauge, and in 1:20.32 scale it represents 3 foot narrow gauge, the more I think on it, the more I believe the "N G" in "B I N G O" is for "Narrow Gauge".

So the most likely meaning is, "Bachmann Industries Narrow Gauge Ontario".

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Imagination Station Kids

Yea, appears to be printed but from a distance does look like vinyl lettering. I wouldn't have known if I didn't have the car in front of me and you hadn't mentioned it. I had to look at it second time myself.
Len,
You could be right. It does makes a lot of sense and it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer painted a specialty car for a show.
I agree with what your saying about a scale relation possibly? You could be right. It's definitely something I didn't think about.
Ken

PS: APOLOGIES, IN THE ORIGINAL POST WE FORGOT TO ADD OUR THANK YOU LETTER TO EVERYONE AT BACHMANN, SO WE ADDED IT IN THE MIDDLE. JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS TO CHECK IT OUT ABOVE.
THANKS!

Imagination Station Kids

BINGO GONDOLA MYSTERY FINALLY SOLVED

Bach-man, Terry, Len, Sid,

I think we finally got to the bottom of the BINGO gondola mystery. I was thinking to myself, since this car was part of the 2008, Ontario Big Train Show, common sense would lead me to the most reasonable course of action. Contact Ontario, California Convention Center and maybe they would have some information. It took me awhile but after several contacts with different individuals, some of who did not call me back, I finally was fortunate enough to get in touch with Nancy, who was in charge of the show for many years. She was kind and extremely helpful & directed me to Brian Curry who was one of only two individuals that ever had any information on products built and designed for the show, especially this car, among all others. If I understand this right, Brian Curry was the owner of the show, although I'm not a hundred percent sure. Regardless, Brian sent me a couple emails which I have combined together into one to simplify the message. Nancy also said Rick from Bachmann was their contact and attendee and might know more also. Here is a copy of what Brian said in the emails to Nancy and I;

Hello Ken and Nancy,

Throughout the Big Train Show, Bachmann hosted a banquet also.
This car was given to those attending the Bachmann banquets a different car each year.  That was the last banquet car held on the Queen Marry before moving to the Ontario Convention Center.
Each banquet had a different theme. That year (2008) the entertainment was a bingo party. 
They played bingo after dinner for different prizes that Bachmann would supply. 

Brian Curry

I think that pretty much answers all my questions (except the number produced) and thank you for everybody's input here at the Bachmann forum.
All the best to everyone and if I find out the number of cars produced, which I do have an email question in to Brian, I will gladly post it here just as soon as I find out.
Thank you again! Ken c/o Imagination Station Kids On Track Model Railroad And Train Safety Program
E. Helena, Montana

PS Terry, if the person who ask this same question in that other post you were talking about regarding the BINGO car still frequents the forum, you might let them know what we found out, if you'd like.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.