News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Z-Scale

Started by bbmiroku, September 18, 2018, 11:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmiroku

I know that Bachmann has gotten into the super-large-scale (G) models, but will it ever go into the super-small-scale models?

Being a guy in a one-bedroom apartment, space is at a premium.

the Bach-man

Dar BB,
We have no such plans at this time.
Sorry!
the Bach-man

bbmiroku

Ah well... :(
Thanks for responding though. :)
This is the kind of quick response time that keeps me staying with Bachmann products (when I buy them new... it depends on the deal at swap meets).

Piyer

If you are on Facebook, BBMiroku, you might like to check out the Micro/Small Model RR Layouts group (direct link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/728920213839816/). We are a 4100+ member discussion group focused on building tiny yet "high play value" layouts in apartments, dorm rooms, and other situations were model railroading is forced to take a backseat and minimum footprint in daily life. We even have a monthly newsletter, Townhouse Model Railroader, for group members.

I think we can show you that you can build a fun layout in your one-bedroom apartment.

Alternatively, you can look at  http://www.carendt.com for hundreds of small layout ideas and plans.

Best of luck with your model railroading!
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

bbmiroku

Well, I dove in at the train show this weekend.  Bought an oval (and extensions) of track, an engine and some rolling stock, and a powerpack.  Even bought a railer ramp.  'Cuz Lord knows tiny wheels are the devil's playthings.

DAVISinGP

I have a Z-scale itch myself.   :)

When you get a chance, can you provide details of what you got - and maybe a pic or two?

Thanks.

Beddenow

Aww...that's a little unfortunate to hear, but I still love your models regardless.
Sleeping is amazing because it makes the immune system stronger. You don't want to get sick now, do you? Spread the word!

bbmiroku

I picked up MicroScale's weathered Great Northern freight set and a package of curved track, a package of straight track, a terminal (with wires), an uncoupler track, and the rerailer ramp.

I had to finagle a bit with the motor, getting it to spin by itself before it would spin freely with power applied.  It was easy enough to get inside.  Pop off the cover, unscrew two flatheads, pop the side weights apart, and start spinning.  After putting it back together and testing it, I put some more track together on a flat surface and immediately I noticed that the track wasn't laying flat.  I've also noticed this problem in N-Scale.  But I figured that, like in N-Scale, the weight of the train approaching would flatten the track before it got to it.  Not really.  Occasionally in N the engine would just flip over on the S curves, but in Z the problem was magnified.  When it hit the curves, it leaned outward, the inner wheels losing contact with the track and stopping the train.  Then the wheels came back down and contacted, causing the train to lurch forward into the curve.  Then the First Law, Section Two came into effect.  An object moves in a straight line unless acted upon by another force.
As the train lurched forward, the weight wanted to move in a straight line, but the rails moved the wheels to the side, making it tilt off the rails again and stop.  It would keep doing this through the curve.

I would suggest fastening the tracks to a surface and super-elevating the curves, as the weight inside the engine makes the engine top-heavy.  But other than that, I am satisfied with my purchase.

Len

When I built a Z-scale display layout a few years back, I used double sided carpet tape, split lengthwise, to hold the track down. The sticky upper surface also worked pretty good for holding some super fine ballast in place.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.