News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dateline Connecticut

Started by r.cprmier, December 14, 2007, 08:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

12.5 inches here.  I wonder if two K-27s will be able to push a plough through this stuff.  Maybe I should order more...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Steve Stockham

Sounds to me like you would need a rotary plow!

mackers

Move to Southern California and you won't have that problem.  Of course your engines and rolling stock could become sun bleached and windblown......!!  Enjoy .

Mark Oles

Rich,

Being as it is Connecticut, why not just wait a minute.  The weather should change fast enough that the snow will melt, and you'll need SPF 30 to keep from getting sunburned!

Mark (CT native)

jsmvmd

Dear Mac,

Since you have hailed us from sunny SoCal, perhaps you can provide some info on the live steam club that used to be in the Fontana area?  I believe they ran track about 7 inches diameter?  I used to live in San Berdoo in the late '70's, if you call that living!  Is she still there and could you provide a web link?  !Muchas gracias, Amigo!

Best Wishes & Merry Christmas!

Jack

Loco Bill Canelos

I am visiting my son in Denver, last Sunday we ran a plow train consisting of two USA TRains GP38's, two SD40-2's and and Aristo wedge plow weighted very heavily.    We plowed through six inches of snow with no problems.   We reached a drift 14 inches high at the peak and about 3 feet wide and stalled halfway through.   We backed up and hit it again and made another 18 inches forward progress, after a third shot we broke through. 

It was a lot of fun, and brought back memories of the wedge plows I saw on the Rock Island between Colorado Springs and Limon.  The models were covered in snow just like the prototype RI GP9's and U25B's that pushed the prototype plows.    In super extreme conditions the RI used to borrow a UP Rotary.   That was a sight to see, but that is another story.

Happy Railroading to all.........
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

r.cprmier

Yeah, Bill;
but that was Denver woosy snow!!  Try that with our world-renowned New England variety, and then you will forever have braggng rights!

Sounded like a lot of fun, though.  Can you imagine what the real guys felt like when they werer pushing through a drift that went over the height of the engine!  happened in Maine on the Sandy River and the Monson.  Ayupp!

RIch
Rich

Loco Bill Canelos

Rich it was a blast ;D, and I was suprised because the snow stood for two days and was a little on the damp side.

He made a video and if we can figure out how to we will transfer it to his computer.  We don't seem to have the right cable.   

We did have to let the locos drip dry in the basement.   His layout runs from inside the house through a hole in the siding and we were able to start the train inside and get some speed before hitting the snow!

They definitely looked real all covered with the snow!!!!

I bet those guys on the Sandy River weren't having fun like we do, and I know the Rock Island crews weren't having fun either.   They thought we were crazy to be out there taking the pictures.

More snow coming here friday.  Darn we will have to clear the line again ;D!!!

Best,

Lee Carlson

Rich,
I like your New Haven RR quote, but really enjoy the bumper stickers that a friend had made up about 40 years ago..."New Haven Railroad....a Century of Tradition, untouched by Progress"....
Lee
Lee Carlson
President,
NYS&W -- Niantic, Yantic, Scantic & Willimantic Traction Co.

r.cprmier

Lee; that is funny; I got a kick out of it! 

Bill;
Up on the Sandy River back in "the day", the snow came hard, steady, fast and deep!"  I have a couple of photos (courtesy of the late Linwood Moody) of  a little Portland chugging under the freshly dug-out snow drift, with room to spare!.  In those days, the best they had was plows made up largely from old equipment, equipped with a heavy iron schnozola; otherwise, all the snow removal work was done via jackass power...
...Who was that who longs for "the good old days"?
There is the frosty joke cracked up there in the "snowbelt":  Maine has two seasons; winter and August.  Franklin County was bad, Monson was much worse.
Up in Machias, where I will make my final landfall, the climate is generally milder.  Go a scant fifteen miles inland, and the winters would freeze the... whiskers off of a brass monkey!  Ayupp!

Rich

Rich

Mike

Loco Bill- You've got to get that video posted! ...sounds like lots of good action- Mike S.

Loco Bill Canelos

Lee,  great pic

Rich, will  you be modelling SR&RL at the final landfall.

Mike still no luck with the cable we need!  Regrettably I am electronics stipid!!! :-[  We are going to try Best Buy.  I guess I will have to start a you tube account to post it but I will try.

Merry Railroading.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi guys, We finally found a way to post the video it is in a seperate post I just put up.