Have HO Engine received new several years ago ran probably less than five minute

Started by ksu_cowboy, December 10, 2007, 09:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksu_cowboy

Have a HO Engine I received many years from my parents. At the time I received it, I assembled the track, it ran for maybe five minutes and then stopped.  Dug it back to see if it would run, the lights in the engine lite up but it doesn't move any ides?

SteamGene

It would be nice if we knew something more about it than "new HO engine."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RAM

sour rails

I received a train set as a boy and ran it for about a month and put it in storage.  Just this past May, it did not want to move at all. Took it apart, manually turned the motor while it was on the track.  After a while it ran forward, but I had to repeat the procedure for it to run backward.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

rogertra

Quote from: sour rails on December 11, 2007, 11:33:10 AM
     I received a train set as a boy and ran it for about a month and put it in storage.  Just this past May, it did not want to move at all. Took it apart, manually turned the motor while it was on the track.  After a while it ran forward, but I had to repeat the procedure for it to run backward.

Sounds like one of those "toy trains" marketed by Life-Like, Botchmann et-al, the kind you kind in just around Christmas with a three pole motor, one power truck, pick-ups on the one truck and built as cheaply as possible so that, if you are lucky, it lasts Christmas Day.

However, with a lot more info, like the manfucturer, the year it was purchased we cannot help.

If it is a train set loco, and a cheap one, then you may as well just throw it away as it will not be worth the time and effort to fix.

sour rails

Quote from: rogertra on December 11, 2007, 01:10:56 PM
Sounds like one of those "toy trains" marketed by Life-Like, Botchmann et-al, the kind you kind in just around Christmas with a three pole motor, one power truck, pick-ups on the one truck and built as cheaply as possible so that, if you are lucky, it last Christmas Day.

No it wasn't.  It was the Bachmann Superchief.  I hadn't played with it for about 6  1/2 years.  But I had no way of cleaning it before storing it.  Also I did not cover it properly, seeing it did not have a plastic film over the openings for the locomotive and cars.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

rogertra

Quote from: sour rails on December 11, 2007, 09:50:18 PM
Sounds like one of those "toy trains" marketed by Life-Like, Botchmann et-al, the kind you kind in just around Christmas with a three pole motor, one power truck, pick-ups on the one truck and built as cheaply as possible so that, if you are lucky, it last Christmas Day.

No it wasn't.  It was the Bachmann Superchief.  I hadn't played with it for about 6  1/2 years.  But I had no way of cleaning it before storing it.  Also I did not cover it properly, seeing it did not have a plastic film over the openings for the locomotive and cars.

Sadly, yes it was.  At least if it's the one with the F unit, two freight cars a caboose and a circle of track.  Like this: -

http://www.poncinihobbies.com/Bachmann-Ind-HO-The-Superchief-Train-Set-p/bac00636.htm

Conrail Quality

Quote from: rogertra on December 12, 2007, 02:04:34 AM
Quote from: sour rails on December 11, 2007, 09:50:18 PM

Sadly, yes it was.  At least if it's the one with the F unit, two freight cars a caboose and a circle of track.  Like this: -

http://www.poncinihobbies.com/Bachmann-Ind-HO-The-Superchief-Train-Set-p/bac00636.htm

Don't dismiss the Bachmann trainset locomotives so quick. Although, I admit, many are junk, especially the older ones, some of the newer ones are actually adequate performers. The new E60, for example, which has a standard Bachmann trainset drive, pulls pretty well, even if it really does need some decent size flywheels.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

rogertra

Don't dismiss the Bachmann trainset locomotives so quick. Although, I admit, many are junk, especially the older ones, some of the newer ones are actually adequate performers. The new E60, for example, which has a standard Bachmann trainset drive, pulls pretty well, even if it really does need some decent size flywheels.

Sorry, "adequate" doesn't cut it for me.  It's either good, or it's not.

VTBob

I recieved 2 of these sets from my grandparents back in 1989. Both locomotives still run well. It all depends on how well they were taken care of ;)

Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont