News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-6-6-2

Started by Pacific Northern, December 03, 2007, 10:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

The Bismark lasted about two weeks afloat.  What is tragic about that is that she was a beautiful ship, and the essence of craftsmanship and pride.  Doubly as sad was the fact that she took all but about three men down with her when she went to the bottom.  Sad because these people, for the most part, were just like other fighting men of any other country; that is they were proud, good, dedicated.   Perhaps this may be interpreted wrongly. Let me say that the guys they worked for were the summation of evil.  That multiplies the tragedy morefold.  Too bad.  The world should be a better place for all who sacrificed; the fact that it isn't only starkly attests to mans' unwillingness to live right.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Isambard

From Wikapedia , Bismark battleship timelines:
Launched 14 Feb 1939
Commisioned 24 Aug 1940
Sailed on 1st and only mission 18 May 1941
Sunk 27 May 1941.

For naval battle fans, Robert K. Massie's "Castles of Steel" is great reading , also "Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War" - both WWI era.

Getting back to the subject i.e. Spectrum 2-6-6-2, what's the news on the factory installed sound equipped version (84010)? Micromark now indicate estimated availability December but nothing to be found on this website.

Pacific Northern

I too was wondering about the 2-6-6-2 releases, I assume that other than sound there are no mechanical differences between the earlier 2-6-6-2 units and the new sound units.

Perhaps someone who has the new units as well as the first release units could verify?
Pacific Northern

ta152h0

trains and ships, all powered by teakettles. I would buy a 2-6-6-2 and install a sound decoder with double chuff sound. I saw a film the other daqy and it showed an actual 1930's steam powered airplane ( it was a BESLER advertisement ) . we better keep the steam idea alive for the oil barons are going to lie us into using coal again.

Pacific Northern

Have only now ran and tested the new 2-6-6-2 I recently bought. I forgot how well this particular engine runs.

On CD rhe slow speed response is fantastic. What is the recommended DCC unit for this engine?.

On DCC the engine can only run better and I can hardly wait to try the unit out on DCC.
Pacific Northern

r.cprmier

DCC unit for this engine?.

I have used Tsunami sound decoders for my heavy engines.  Available from Tony's trains, these decoders are great and very flexible, in that there is a wide lattitude afforded the modeller in CVs.

I have my 2-6-6-2s set up just the way I want them.  I dumped the board that came with the beast, and just hard-wired everything-less grief that way, and more room in the tender.  I also changed the trucks to Buckeye 6-wheel freight trucks, using those trucks for pickup, as well as the engine drivers.  They run like a bear!!!

Rich
Rich

r.cprmier

Errata:
The Buckeye trucks are on the 2-10-2s.  The tenders on the 2-6-6-2s are stock.  I lied.

Rich
Rich