News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can I add Smoke?

Started by AGRTERP4LIFE, December 18, 2007, 01:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AGRTERP4LIFE

I have a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0.  I am hoping to add a DCC decoder soon, and was wondering if it was possible to add smoke to a loco that did not come with it?  If not, does anyone have a recommendation of a good steam loco that has smoke and sound (DCC ready)?

RAM

I guess you can add smoke to any locomotive.  You said you wanted to go to DCC.  remember what goes up comes down.  With smoke it is a film of oil.

AGRTERP4LIFE

I assume this means two main things; I would need to clean the track regularly and may not want to put the train in a room with nice furniture?

How would I add a smoker to my train?

SteamGene

It's not just the track.  It's the structures, the vehicles, the meadows, the water, the figures, the....
Smoke IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.   Any smoke is unrealistic in HO. 
However, if you still want to do something that every experienced model railroader avoids and preaches against, look for Many New Products to find a install in any locomotive smoke maker.  But be aware that the builder/owner does not use his product in his own locomotives. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

This is the same reason that the late John Allen barred smoking in the trainroom.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

bevernie

GREETINGS!!
         Is SMOKE a bad idea in a burning building? Also, does anyone have any idea about making it BLACK? I've tried adding OIL and that doesn't work, but I really want to make a realistic burning building!!
                                                                                                  THANX!!
                                                                                                    Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

chuff_n_puff

As was stated, to add smoke to a train is not realistic, nor worth it. But if you want a real HO prototypical smoking train, there is only one on the market and that is MTH's K-4 Pennsy. It puffs smoke in sinc to wheel revolutions (4 puffs per revolution), has a large oil container and has a 28 function decoder. It will set and talk to you all day long, if you push the right buttons. He is coming out with the HO Triplex in January that will have all the bells and whistles, but will have 24 pulling axels!
It is a 2-8-8-8-2. Then that brings you to needing an operating system to handle these high tech units. MRC makes the only system, in its Prodigy line, that will do it, but you will be unable to run the old DC (analog) trains with it. MTH has their own system but it is DCS, not DCC, and that is a whole new ball game, as you can't mix the two! But any of this you get into takes a lot of bucks. For instance: 5 years ago I received an $80 DCC train for Christmas. I decided to build me a railroad. I now have over $17,000 in it and still building! Happy railroading!

RAM

I wonder how many motors that Triplex will have.

chuff_n_puff

Ram, It will have 2, as there will be a second one in the tender. You can see all the models and see a video at
http://www.mthhotrains.com/news.asp

bevernie

Quote from: bevernie on December 18, 2007, 06:51:18 PM
GREETINGS!!
         Is SMOKE a bad idea in a burning building? Also, does anyone have any idea about making it BLACK? I've tried adding OIL and that doesn't work, but I really want to make a realistic burning building!!
                                                                                                  THANX!!
                                                    ???                                                 Ernie
GREETINGS!!
        Seemingly, no one has noticed my questions, so I'll ask them again!
Surely, someone has an idea!
                                                                                                   THANX!!
                                                                                                     Ernie
                                                                                          Hendersonville, NC

Matt Bumgarner

Ernie-

YES, it is a bad idea to put smoke in a burning building, and for the same reasons it is bad in a locomotive. The smoke will end up depositing an oily residue over your layout, your track, your rolling stock and your room.

BAD IDEA. BAD IDEA. BAD IDEA.

I have seen some pretty realistic smoke created with whisps of a cotton ball and paint.

Matt

bevernie

:'(GREETINGS, MATT!!
                    And THANK YOU for your reply, even though I am a bit saddened by same!! I am planning to build a depiction of a burning building with all the trimmings, and "SMOKE" was going to be very much a part of it! I got siren sounds (taken out of FIRE TRUCKS from GOODWILL), flashing lights, all the trimmings!! Now, I'm CRYING!!!... But THANX!! anyway!!
                                                                                                   THANX!!
                                                                                                     Ernie

jayl1

Sleuthe makes a smoke unit for engines (and could probably be modified for a burning building.

Ever stand next to an American Flyer steamer operating with a smoke unit for many length of time??  The nose will know!!

Also if you are using smoke oil, expect a residue on everything.

Stephen D. Richards

It is Sleuthe #117.  It is a general type smoke unit.   Stephen