News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can I add Smoke?

Started by AGRTERP4LIFE, December 18, 2007, 01:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuff_n_puff

There are several types of smoke pots on the market, including the sleuthe, but if you are really want to spend your time watching the smoke, instead of refilling the unit with oil, check out Micro-Mark's smoke unit. It has a large reservoir and an electric fan. That sucker really generates the smoke and you don't spend all your time refueling! I have 2 of them, but I modified them to cut back on the volume of smoke. The 1" fan is on the bottom and it is simple just to restrick some of the air flow. You might say it is my version of a Nascar restrictor plate for smoke units! You can see this unit at http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82602
This unit cost $39.95 + shipping, but it works. I have used 2 of them for 5 years and no problems. Most of the cheapo units put out so little smoke, sometimes its hard to see if they are working. The only draw back with Micro Mark's is its size. Its not real big but you couldn't use it on a HO train. About the only gauge it would fit in would be G scale. But it works fine for scenery, you just have to make room for it so as to hide it. I have one in the chimney on a log cabin and one in a Liquor Still.