Fastening EZ-Track to platform

Started by dmolavi, December 19, 2007, 09:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmolavi

For a new Christmas display I'm building, I want to use EZ-track, but want to fasten it to the platform. What's the best way to do this?

Also, is there any recommended method to deaden the sound of the trains rolling over the EZ-track? I've found that the roadbed acts as a sounding board, and gets pretty noisy. My first guess is to glue the roadbed to cork, then the cork to the platform, which would take care of the first question :)

SteamGene

I think you might want to try the pink or blue insulating foam under the EZ-Track and then glue the track to the foam using rubber cement. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

taz-of-boyds

The sound deadening is being discussed in another place, and the recommendation was gluing the pink or blue foam to plywood or similar substrate.  But the key for sound deadening was glue over 100% of the surface between the substrate and the foam, not just a few lines of adhesive.  So I guess use plenty of glue between the platform and foam, using glue that will not melt or dissolve the foam

Merry Christmas,
Charles

Terry Toenges

The best thing I've found is to use the rubberized shelf liner with the little holes in it. It's made of PVC vinyl. You can get it in various colors at Walmart or Lowe's.

Glue that down to your base then glue the track to it.
It works great and it's pretty cheap for a big role. 5 bucks for a 1 foot x 14 foot role.
Here, you can see it when I was building my Christmas layout -

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

An added benefit is that you can pull it up and reuse it if you change your mind about you layout plan. Ever try to pull up and reuse glued down cork?
I just use diluted white glue and dribble it over the liner when I have it in place.
When it's dry, I lay the track and put a dab of white glue along the edges of the plastic roadbed every 6 to 8 inches or so.
Feel like a Mogul.

The Old Man

Quote from: Terry Toenges on December 19, 2007, 12:45:54 PM
An added benefit is that you can pull it up and reuse it if you change your mind about you layout plan. Ever try to pull up and reuse glued down cork?
I just use diluted white glue and dribble it over the liner when I have it in place.
When it's dry, I lay the track and put a dab of white glue along the edges of the plastic roadbed every 6 to 8 inches or so.
I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Are you saying you glue it down first to your board and then, "I...use diluted white glue and dribble it over the liner when I have it in place."  If so, why?

Terry Toenges

Sorry for the confusion.
The way I glue it down is to dribble the white glue over it once I have it set in place.
I don't "paint" the area underneath with glue. You can do that.
I don't do it because I change my mind a lot with track plans and it's easier to pull up with a little glue than a lot of glue. I don't think I'll ever do a "permanent" layout.
Feel like a Mogul.