News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which DCC System to get

Started by Roelf, December 19, 2007, 12:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roelf

Hi all.

Yes I know, it's the same question as others has asked, but I did not get my answer yet. Which DCC System should I get and where do I find the info which decoders must go into my Loco's (0-6-0 & 2-6-0. Both Bachmann) and 3 x Diesel engines (No info on Diesels. Again Bachmann) ??? Also I want to get a good system that I can use for years, without having to upgrade in 2-3 years?

RAM

Before you jump you need to look at the big picture.  How big is your layout?  Howmany train do you plan to run at a time?  How big of a job is it going to be to change the locomtive from DC to DCC.  Locomtive that are not DCC ready can be a job to change over. 

Jim Banner

What do you want to do with your DCC?  Do you intend to stay with those five locomotives or will you be adding more?  Do you want to run alone, or with a friend, or with a group?  What is the maximum number of locomotives and lighted cars that you will want to run at any one time?  Do you want to use DCC to control turnouts as well?  Will the answers to these questions be the same in the future, say 5 years from now?

As far as decoders go, there are 3 things to consider:
(1) what decoders will fit?
(2) what decoders will carry the required current?
(3) what decoders have the features you want?
For each locomotive, pick a decoder that fits all three, if you can.  Maybe some of the features are optional.  The size and current rating generally are not.

In order to determine the required current, you can either look it up and hope your locomotive is typical of that type, or, if you do not have the part number of the locomotive, you can measure the motor current with the motor stalled and 12 volts dc applied to it.  For this, you will need a meter that can measure up to a couple of amps dc (many measure to 10 amps) and, of course, a dc power pack.

Lets look at how all of that works.  Lets take your Bachmann 0-6-0.  I am going to assume it is the tank type 0-6-0, which is a small locomotive with no tender in which to hide a decoder.  Your search through decoders will show that most are too large, but there are a few, such as a Digitrax DZ123 that will fit.  That decoder is rated 1.0/1.5 amps, which means it can handle a continuous (running) current of up to 1.0 amp and it can handle a momentary peak (stall) current of up to 1.5 amps.  If your 0-6-0T is typical, then its current draw is within range of that decoder.  But if it is drawing extra current for any reason, it can quickly destroy the decoder.  Personally, I do not bother trying to find a typical current rating for locomotives - I go ahead and measure the actual currents for my locomotives each and every time.  It has saved a few decoders and a lot of frustration over the years.

As far as features go, the DZ123 has many but it can control only the headlight and rear light (in addition, of course, to the motor speed and direction.)  To control more functions, you could use a Digitrax DZ143 instead.  Rated at 1.25/2.0 amps, it can control 2 more lights or other functions than the DZ123.  Take a look at the link below:
http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_dz143.php
While the DZ123/Dz143 might be also able to handle your other locomotives, there are larger, cheaper decoders that could do the job just as well.

The actual installation of decoders is not too hard as long as
(a) you can follow step by step directions
(b) you have (or can learn) good soldering skills, and
(c) you are not completely colour blind.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Roelf

Morning Jim

Thanks for the info. Both my small Steam loco's do have tenders on, so I can put the decoders in there. My layout size will in total be about 150 foot long. How many locos I will run at one time I don't know yet, but I'm looking at maximum just for in case. I'm not planning on connecting the turn-outs. I do want to do some manual work also while the trains run.

SteamGene

Roelph,
I think you have the old USRA 0-6-0.  Do your locos have the can motor?  You will have to run wires from the loco to the tender.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

keystone

I purchased the Bachmann E Z Command for my 4' X 9' layout. Also purchased 2 Bachmann DCC locomotives. I have mail ordered a DCC board and sound unit for an older Diesel (Not installed yet). I'm concerned that the Bachmann system, although just great, thus far, has no method or buttons for the horn or bell that I know of. Seems I must scrap it for another system ?? If the Bachmann or any others can help me retain the E Z command system and somehow get a Horn and Bell control, it would be very much appreciated. (Returning back to my H-0 Roots after 14 years of G gauge) Joe

grumpy

Buttons 1 controls the bell , button 2 controls the horn . This works on all my sound equipped locos and I have locos by three different mfg's.
Don

keystone

On the E Z Bachmann. Buttons 1 thru 9 are locomotive addresses. If you are correct I could take 1 locomotive OFF button 1 and re program it to say 6 or 7. Then just save 1 and 2 for horn and bell ? I don't think so. On another thread here, It says to hit the function button (yellow) while addressing the locomotive. this will allow a sound function.
Perhaps the BACHMANN will come in and clear the air ??

WoundedBear

To operate the sound with EZC you need to select the loco first.....that's done by selecting one of the red buttons 1-9.

Then, once selected, push the yellow button once. You will see the red light beside your selected loco begin to flash.

Now press button 1 or 2 for your sounds. Button 10 usually controls the light.

You can control your speed and direction as normal when in function mode as well.

To go back to another loco.....you need to press the yellow function key again....red light beide selected loco stops flashing now.....and select the next loco you wish to operate. When it's time for sounds from this loco, go through the same steps, starting by pressing the yellow function button till the red light flashes....etc.

No need to remove locos from address 1 or 2.

Sid.

Pacific Northern

I have a Bachmann EZ DCC controler and functions just fine for my layout. Note that it is indeed a starter set.

However, the lack  of  being able to program CV's will at some point make me change to a new DCC system.

For those that have misplaced their manual for this unit there is a manual for download on this site. Check main menu.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

I just got off the phone with Bachmann service.  There is great anticipation for the new, more complete Bachmann DCC system. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

keystone

Sure hope it does not obsolete the original ! More information Bachmann?

ta152h0

DCC controlled smoke would be great. If i was a design engineer I would run pipes from the firebox, conteaining the smoke generator to not only the smokestack but also to the piston mechanism. ya'll get smoke everywhere if i was one.

SteamGene

Mr. B has already said that EZ-Command will still be produced and sold.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

keystone

But are they compatible ? (Sure it's DCC )The new system can be added to the original ?
At a list of $300, it appears it is a completly new and different and NOT an add on or upgrade !