News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Battery power only

Started by robertjohndavis, December 20, 2007, 09:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertjohndavis

Hi,

I just wanted to take a minute to thank Bachmann for all the great products they have in my scales (HO and Fn3).

As a new garden railroader, I wanted to bring up the point that I (like many I have met online) am only operating rc battery power.

For my future purchases, if a model cannot easily be converted to batter power, I will not be purchasing it.

The QSI/Airwire board has revolutionized what can be done with plug'n'play. Aristo has jumped on this, and I suspect others will, too.

I hope that Bachmann will make Fn3 products that will easily convert to battery, especially those available with sound from the factory. It is not financially feasible for me to buy a sound loco, only to have to rip the decoder out to replace it with one that will work on battery/rc.

I have seen the future of large scale, and it is in the rc systems the battery and live steam guys are using. I am not knocking track power. All I am saying is that I will not purchase any new locos that are not ready for battery/rc.

One consumers POV...

Merry Christmas all!

Rob Davis

the Bach-man

Dear Rob,
The new K-27 has a board that will allow easy plug and play operation for any control system, for exactly the reasons you mention. When I took the photos for the instruction manual, we installed an Airwire board in less time than it took to focus the camera.
Merry Christmas!
the Bach-man

charon

Quote from: robertjohndavis on December 20, 2007, 09:15:36 AM
I have seen the future of large scale, and it is in the rc systems the battery and live steam guys are using.

Gentlemen,
I beg to differ.  The majority of G gauge layouts are indoor and it doesn't seem to be too practical to be using rc/battery inside.  TOC, help me out if I'm mistaken on this.

Thanks for all the helpful info this past year and Happy Holidays to all.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

"Trainman"

I have recently converted my two Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidateds over to AirWire RC/battery from the AristoCraft 75mhz system. The improvement is incredible. Before I could not be any farther away than say 6 to 8 feet from the unit. Now I can be clear across the yard. The AirWire system is by far the best currently on the market. I also installed the Phoenix P5 sound system which is designed specifically for the battery powered garden railroad trains. I have all the gear in the tender with the two AristoCraft  lithium-ion batteries wired in parallel, in a trailing battery car. I have an umbilical from the tender to the locomotive for power, lights and to pick up the chuff trigger. This is how battery power/remote control is supposed to work. Also, the installation :) of the AirWire and Phoenix gear was quick and simple.

Kevin Strong

Quote from: charon on December 21, 2007, 12:38:23 AM
... The majority of G gauge layouts are indoor and it doesn't seem to be too practical to be using rc/battery inside...

Two points to address here--the first being that the "majority" of large scale layouts are indoors. I'm just not certain that statement's anywhere near true, especially once you remove all the temporary and "under the tree" Christmas railroads from the equation. Large scale indoors takes up a huge amount of space, which is what drives most folks outdoors with it (and is arguably paramount in its appeal). There are some fantastic indoor large-scale railroads, but for every one indoor railroad, there's probably 10 outdoor ones.

Second, there's no real reason why R/C wouldn't work indoors. The biggest problem with R/C indoors is signal bounce off of air ducts, plumbing, and other reflective surfaces. Today's digital systems seem to have mostly eliminated these problems. As a result, wireless control systems are becoming more and more popular for indoor railroads of all scales. Granted the small scale guys aren't cramming batteries into their locos, but they are using radio signals to control the throttle, as opposed to having a 20' tethered wire to plug in to various ports around the railroad.

For the large scale modeler, the advantages--and disadvantages--of using batteries are no different indoors than out, but range and interference have--for the most part--been removed from the equation.

Later,

K

robertjohndavis

Quote from: the Bach-man on December 20, 2007, 10:33:41 PM
Dear Rob,
The new K-27 has a board that will allow easy plug and play operation for any control system, for exactly the reasons you mention. When I took the photos for the instruction manual, we installed an Airwire board in less time than it took to focus the camera.
Merry Christmas!
the Bach-man

Now that is good news. Thanks for the quick reply!

Rob

jsmvmd

Dear "Bob" & Ballou,

I intend to convert my LS engines to R/C battery.  Which particular batteries do you use?  Some use NiMH, NiCad, or Li-Po.  I have heard of explosions with Li-Po.  Some use 7.2V packs in series to give 14.4V.

I have read the Aristo stuff regarding battery cars and will probably go that route.  I do need help to choose the proper battery.

Thank you.

Best Wishes & Merry Christmas!

Jack

"Trainman"

Jack,

I have been using the (new version) Aristo lithium-ion batteries for almost two years now. They have worked flawlessly for me. Not one single problem. The very first lithium batteries that were produced had some problems but with the new version being produced today, those problems have been eliminated.
I get four to five hours of use from a single charge when I have two batteries wired in parallel. One caveat to this, these batteries come wired to emit 21 to 24vdc. I use AirWire R/C so I have take a 16vdc and an 8vdc tap off of the batteries. I still use the Aristo lithium charger to recharge the batteries.

r.cprmier

Kevin;
There is one fallacy you overlooked, and that is extraneous signals generated by inductive loads like flourescent lighting, small motors, etc; found inside.  These signals, like infra-red, or radio signals, will also bounce off of walls, ductwork, etc, and can raise holy merry hell with RC operation.

The idea of most lrage-scale operations being outdoors would be, to my way of thinking, highly accurate.  I would be hard-pressed to invest in large locos like a consolidation, mike, etc, just to watch these beasts trying to negotiate a too small radius.  For myself, I have the facilities, both here and in Maine, to run some fairly hefty-sized curves, and will do so.

Also, I truely like the idea of RC operation.  I have been doing little more than collecting an stable of "ponies" at this point; but when the better conversion units come along, I will convert my Consolidations, etc, to that.  I am looking foward to the arrival of two K-27s.  Maybe sometime Bachmann will think about other "top end" power plants-like maybe a K-36 or a Forney-in Fn3!
"OK, Maude; where's yer egg money..."

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

jsmvmd

Dear Rich,

I believe I have read on Aristocraft's site that the AC TE has been reported to suffer from the kind of interference you have mentioned.  Sheldon has been running one for a while now.  I will hope to have mine up and running for a small HO switching area.  Will keep you informed.

I wonder if the Airwire has similar issues, or if they have been resolved.

Best Wishes & Merry Christmas!

Jack

Atlantic Central

Rich, Jack,

In my continuing application of the 27Mhz Train Engineer, I have yet to have any range or interference issues.

Some basic stats on my environment - The train room is a 22' x 40' attic room above my 32' x 40' garage. The building is wood framed, covered with cement board siding and asphalt shingle roofing. Both the layout room and garrage below are insulated, the layout room has its own gas heat- A/C system in the attic space above.

The garage houses two cars, tractor and large workshop with power tools and is lighted with about 14, 2 tube, 4' flourescents. The lighting in the train room is all incandecent. Numerious items in the garage and house (from which a sub feeder supplies power) are controlled by power line carrier home automation (X10).

As stated, I have had no range or interference issues with the TE. I have operated the TE from as far away as the first floor and out in front of the garage in driveway ( about 50' - 60' through walls/floors). I am now using the rubber ducky antennas from Aristo with no chane in performance.

And, I am VERY happy with the TE do to its simple operation.

Sheldon

"Trainman"

Sheldon, sounds as though you have a perfect situation for a railroad. Being indoors you do not have put with whims of mother nature. I unfortunately I do not have that option so I built my Carmel Valley RR in the back yard. Fortunately I live in Southern California where mother nature is quite nice to us. Where ever you place these layout, they are sure can bring a lot of enjoyment.
Also on the range issue of AristroCraft versus AirWire. I was using the TE mini onboard 75mhz system for about a year. The range on that system would not allow me to be more than a eight to ten feet from the unit. I attempted all the remedies suggested on the AristoCraft forums but to no avail. Out of frustration, I tried the AirWire 900mhz system. The difference was like night and day. I can now be inside the house, if I wanted to be, and still be able to control the trains. I still use the TE "27mhz" equipment to control switch operations and it works extremely well.
Well, that's enough from me. Ya'll take care and have a good New Years!

calenelson

I run some NiCad and some NiMh with my RCS control...charge all with a MAHA charger and have no problems thus far!

cale