News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Polar Express optional cars

Started by phillfam10, December 20, 2007, 11:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillfam10

I just purchased a Bachmann Polar Express G scale for my kids for Christmas.  I was wondering if Bachmann made any of the other cars for this set...ie Hot Chocolate, or Baggage, or Dining?  I know Lionel does.  Would theirs match this set though?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi!

The Bachmann 90036 Polar Express was one of the nicest sets in the line.  Unfortunately Bachmann rights to the Polar Express ran out and were picked up by Lionel.   I'm not sure if that is why there were no additional cars made to match the set.   The set has loco no 1225, coach 1985, and Observation 2000.   In many cases Bachmann made matching cars which for this set would have been a full baggage and a combine.   regrettably this never happened.

The record hgh price paid for this set on EBay was $700 last year.

Take good care of it and Merry Railroading.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

the Bach-man

Dear Phil,
Loco Bill is (as usual) right on. Only the cars in the set were produced.
Merry Christmas! (And to you, too, Bill!)
the Bach-man

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks, Bach-man,  and Happy Holidays to you!!  Hope to see you again soon.

Best

phillfam10

Thanks so much for the reply, even though it was bad news.  You too, Bach-Man.  I am new to the whole model train world, would the Lionel cars work with the Bachmann or is that totally taboo?  Even if they look the same, do they connect the same? or would the electrical connection work?  Sorry for the rookie questions.

Loco Bill Canelos

Glad we could help and no question is a rookie question as far as I am concerned.   Although they rarely show up on EBay you might be able to aquire a second set and that would give you an extra coach.  The observation would look ok as well.

Mark Oles

Lionel has two different Polar Express sets.  One is a traditional 3 rail O gauge train.  That set comes with 3 passenger cars.  The other is a brand new Lionel set that has a loco, tender, and two passenger cars.  I saw a picture of them on another forum and  the coupler is compeletly different from the Bachmann.  It might work, it might not. 

BTW, O gauge trains and G gauge trains do not really work together!

Another option:

Bachmann makes passenger car kits. You could get some paint and paint the missing cars yourself.  I just did this with a pair of hopper cars for my nephews.  Bachmann cars are easy to put together, and painting is painting. Might be cheaper and more fun than hunting for cars you already have on eBay.

Mark