VTBob

hello,

I've been reading for quite some time now, & I see alot of requests for:

Pacifics - 4-6-2
Big Boys - 4-8-8-4
Challengers - 4-6-6-4
Berkshires - 2-8-4
Diesels - too numberous to mention.

Why is everyone requesting locomotives that have been produced & reproduced over & over by many other companies? What happened to the obscure & overlooked steam & diesel locomotives, that I can't seem to find a good model of, ANYWHERE.

How about:

A Mogul, 2-6-0 with full Walcherts valve gear for the folks that do SP, or a few New England roads?
OR
re-do the 2-6-2 Prairie into a less wobbley model?
OR
how bout a 2 axle Plymouth Switcher? Maybe a Davenport?
OR
how about the cherished 4-8-0? Instead of only having the option to buy it in the rare brass model, make a Spectrum one? Lots of roads had them, not just the N&W. ;)

I will admit to wanting a 2-10-4, but in all reality, some of us just don't have that kind of radius to be able to model.

Any thoughts, or am I talking to empty space? ;)

bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

NWsteam

Bob,

I like what your saying and it makes sense.  I would love for a spectrum 4-8-0(it doesn’t have to be in just N&W paint as long as they offer it ;).  I have been investigating other forums and there seems to be a common theme, a good model of a 4-8-0.  Brass is too expensive and way too hard to find.  If Bachmann produced these they would sell like hotcakes.  I do disagree with you on one point, a good pacific is hard to find.  Sure IHC has its version and BLI is coming out with one in the near future, but a spectrum pacific would be nice.

-Brad

SteamGene

Actually, we don't have a lot of good models of Pacifics.  We have a lot of models of the PRR K4.  We could use a good USRA, Harriman, or catalog Pacific.  The Challengers and Big Boys are the result of hype.  The 2-8-4 is the result of several eastern roads having essentially the same locomotive - a rarity amongst modern steam.  
The 4-8-0 may have been common - and I'm not sure it was - but the other roads 4-8-0 probably bore little resemblance to the N&W M-1.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

VTBob

I suggested locos that no one seems to produce. I have an old 1989 2-6-2 that still runs good, but could really use a make over. With today's technology, a Prairie could be the next show-stopper, much like how the shay was back when it came out.

I left one off my list, because it might be in production, or not, as I've heard different things, I left off the 2 truck Heisler.

The 4-8-0 N&W version gets alot of photos, but GN, Texas & I forget had some, & alot of early 1900's still had them on the rosters.

Bob
R. Montanye

Conrail Quality

Well, one reason is that we're realists. Sure, I'd love a Pennsy P5a modified or Milwaukee EF-1, but I'm realilistic enough to admit that Bachmann will never make them. Bachmann is one of the giants in model trains, and they are focused more on mainstream, mass produced products. It makes good bussiness sense.  A GP-9 sells everywhere. A NYC S-motor sells only in New York City and among electric wackos like me.

Bachmann has enough capital and connections that they can effectively sell thousands of GP-9's across the country. To get more obscure models, you will have to look for small manufacturers that do not have the capital and connections to truly mass-produce locomotives, and are thus forced by necessity to make obscure models. And they are out there. Island Model Works, for example, specializes in Long Island RR equipment. They can do that because Long Island is a small area where their very limited time and capital need to be focused on. Bachmann doesn't have that limitation, so why not go with the GP-9 that will have near-guarunteed profits, rather than the much-riskier NYC S-motor?

Okay, point is: we don't often request obscure models, because Bachmann, because of it's position in the model train market, is unlikely to produce them. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Mark Damien

Quote from: Conrail Quality on December 20, 2007, 07:05:25 PM

Okay, point is: we don't often request obscure models, because Bachmann, because of it's position in the model train market, is unlikely to produce them. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Good Point!

Bachmann UK & Hornby announced, they were going to build the same LMS 4-6-0 loco, with BR variants & rebuilds. This would have been a financial 'Kick in the Teeth' to both companies. As Bachmann US, MTH & BLi must clearly understand, with their PRR K-4.

But, to get into the spirit of the thread,....

I'd like an Atlantic, or two or three.

A UP 2-12-2, if it gets around a 30" radius curve.

& perhaps, a Spectrum quality early 4-4-0 [Definitely].
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

RAM

There is not a real 2-6-2 made unless it is brass.  Bachmann made a 2-6-2 out of a 0-6-0. MDC made a 2-6-2 using this part and that part and ended up with an ATSF, SP, PRR.

Virginian

So why did Bachmann offer the N&W J in about 10 different guises, and the auxiliary tenders in four different guises no less?  Or the SP GS-4?  Or the very Pennsy specific K-4?  There were a LOT more 4-8-0's, even N&W specific, than there ever were Js.
How did BLI decide to start their business off with the N&W Class A, and even more specifically the 38 pre-roller bearing version examples only?  Again with auxiliary tender(s), in DC and DCC guise this time?
Why did Bachmann offer the N&W 4-8-2 in pre-war guise, when post war is 10 times more popular?
How did LL Proto manage to offer the VIRGINIAN 2-8-4 (although I will be FOREVER grateful), when there were FIVE (5) prototypes?
The truth is, whoever holds the power to make THE decision in ALL the model manufacturing/distributing companies; they make exactly what they want, when they want, and they BARELY give a you know what, what we as a group think.
I am not raisng TOO much hell, being as how I am a VGN/N&W guy, but some of you have to be getting frustrated?  And yeah, I still want a good N&W Class M from somebody.
There is no LOGICAL answer, other than the Golden Rule.  Them that's got the gold, makes the rules.
"What could have happened... did."

bevernie

NOW, I've got a PROBLEM!! Every time anyone posts anything even remotely "RELIGIOUS", it is DELETED; now, here is a "QUESTION TO THE 'MASSES'" and nothing has been said! :'(
Well, I'm here as a voice in the wilderness to cry out that MOST of us are PROTESTANTS, and that means that we are PROTESTING (NOT MASSING!)!!
PLEASE take this into concideration, and be more RESPECTIVE when you ask your questions!
                                                              THANK YOU!... and GOOD DAY!!
                                                                       ERNEST C. DUKES
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

WoundedBear

Take two of the blue ones, Ernie.....it'll be fine. :D

Happy Hannukah.

Sid

VTBob

To Mr. Dukes:

When I started this thread, it was not to "Raise Hell" as has been made the point., I was stating a fact: There's a demand for locomotives that darn near everyone else already makes. I was stepping into the proverbial fray by suggesting locomotives that most folks DON'T make, as suggestion for the modellers who, like me, just don't have the space for a "big" locomotive. I have a fair collection of "big" locomotives. They all look nice.........on the shelf. I'd like one I could actually put a use to.

Also, what part of my original post was "religious"? & I was quite polite in asking/stating a long trend that I saw appearing on this board for quite some time.

Thanks,
& relax y'all, I'm not a crazy person. Just looking for a few good answers :)

Bob
R. Montanye

SteamGene

Bob,
I agree with you - more small, decent steam is needed.  The only thing I can see religious is changed "masses" to "Masses" - another name for the Eucharist.  BTW, almost everybody thinks that everybody else known belongs to the same faith, which is not true. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

danmerkel

It goes without saying that the major manufacturers have to produce those engines that they feel will have the broadest appeal.  An obscure engine might really please one road's modelers, but won't do much for anyone else.

I'd guess that the Class A was popular because of its stint as an excursion engine, not just because of its N&W heritage.  The same may very well be true of Bachmann's offerings of both the NKP 765 & 759; both of them have seen a lot of excursion service and more recent exposure than engines ran 50+ years ago.

Like most other model railroaders, I really like to see "big steam" on a layout.  Even if that particular locomotive's appearance needs to be altered to fit on tighter curves or if it doesn't look "right' on a smaller pike.  But the reality is that sooner or later, when you go to fill out your power roster, you realize that you are more in need of the smaller locos than the big ones.  To that end, I'd join the chorus of those asking for the Atlantics, the Moguls, the Praries, the Consols and the Twelve Wheelers.  And, unlike a lot of others, I'm willing to accept a good generic model as opposed to one that is road specific.

The one engine I'd really like to see?  How about one that resembles the Mantua 4-6-0 Southern Belle?) with the unevenly spaced drivers.  That with an updated drive, flywheel, some options to date it & some neat electronics... there goes my model rr budget!

dlm

lanny

Well here I go again  ;D  (sorry Gene)

What would be wrong with Bachmann (or anyone, for that matter) producing a 'generic' Harriman 4-6-2 and a 'generic' Harriman 2-8-2. Most modelers would happily make necessary 'kit bashing' changes for road specific locomotives if they had the right boiler/cab shape to begin with.

Happy and very blessed Christmas/holiday/New Years to all,

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

No problem, Lanny.  I agree that a Harriman would be great for those west of the the Mississippi.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat