News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

455 arrives at RGS East

Started by RGSEast, December 21, 2007, 07:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGSEast

Just unboxed my 455 post wreck and it is a honey. Packing was excellent and there was no damage.

I went to Silver San Juan and RGS Story for pictures of the engine and the plumbing appears to be quite accurate. The cab is well done and has better rivet detail than I have seen on other models of 455.

The tender even has the patch on the engineers side. Don't quite know where they came up with foot boards on the rear, but those are easily removed.

One the the best upgrades they did to the engine is a "coaster" drive, so you don't have to slide it down the track when power is not available. Wheels turn fairly easily and should take the shock out of sudden stops.

The plow comes installed and there is a spark arrestor included in the box.

I will take it outside tomorrow and do a test run and see how it smooth it is. When I had the pilot model here for the filming of the video, it was a ran very well, with excellent low speed. It also had enough power to pull 15 cars up a 3.5% grade and that was without the boiler weight.

Congrats to the engineering folks at Bachmann for the design and workmanship on the engine. This will satisfy the most ardent DRGw/RGS folks and should make Bachmann some new customers.

For the "rivet" counters, there are some errors, but without the real engine to look at, that is to be expected. Those few errors can be corrected and that is the fun of an engine like this, it is plastic, it is under 1k and you can have a ball bringing it up to your specifications.

Will get some pics posted tomorrow.

Roger Cutter
RGS East in 1:20.3

glennk28

Those of us waiting would probably like to know from which dealer yours came (likewise the others  "OS"ed thru here) so we might have an idea where ours are--and thereby when they might arrive--we can put the milk and cookies out for the UPS driver!   8^)   gj

RGSEast

Mine came from John Weigel at Peterboro (sp) Railroad in Maryland. We are one shipping day away from Philadelphia. Now we are waiting on the tank cars. Should be Wednesday if all goes according to plan.

It is worth the wait. Can't wait to fire it up tomorrow and move some revenue.

Roger Cutter

rslater

Send those photos...can't wait to see...my K is going to Denver and back to N. C.  >:(  I'll be lucky to see my 455 by the middle of January.

RGSEast

I am sure it will be a hard wait, but worth it. Yours is a post wreck???
I am now editing some pics so that I can post them. Will put them over on MLS or the RGS list at Yahoo. Will let you all know.

Now to go to work on the AW install. Gotta get this thing running.

Roger Cutter

rslater

I ordered the tri-color.  I have an Accucraft K-27 but from what I have seen, Bachmann out did themselves.  They are going to give Accucraft a run for the money. :D

RGSEast

I think you are right as far as detail. The Accu engines are kinda bullet proof, but you can have 3 of these to wear out for the cost of one of theirs. The cab interior detail on this engine far exceeds anything Accu has done.

I have posted 5 pictures on the RGS Yahoo group for your enjoyment. More will follow.

Follow this link.

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/RGS/photos/browse/bec6?c=

Enjoy

Roger Cutter

Perry Ottoman

I have to register at Yahoo to look at pictures ? Nah, sorry

RGSEast

I am working to get them posted over on MLS. Will let you know as soon as they are available. Sorry for the problems getting to RGS Group....

Gary Armitstead

Roger

I just uploaded to my web space on MLS, but the pix are still too large. Dean Whipple just posted some of your photos on MLS.

Gary

rslater

RGSEast

Glad I got the photos posted. Thanks to Dean.

Here is the link to MLS

http://www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50353&whichpage=2

Hope to have photos of the tender interior and the start of the AirWire install on MLS tomorrow morning.

Roger

altterrain

President of

Charlie Mutschler

Roger - Thanks!  And to the Bachmann Team - WOW!!!  I am cheerfully anticipating my 463.   

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

Kevin Strong

It's okay, I guess, but it's no EBT #12. ;D

Hope it runs as good as it looks.

Later,

K