News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

455 arrives at RGS East

Started by RGSEast, December 21, 2007, 07:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rivet

Bob G -  Too bad your email is "hidden" on your profile.  RGSE would probably send you some photos and other info directly.  Not EVERYTHING needs to be posted on the forum.

Regarding the apparent "exclusion" of some products from the conversion list; let it be known that some vendors choose not to participate; probably to their own detriment.  Too bad.

Cheers

bobgrosh

Quote from: Dr Rivet on December 27, 2007, 06:46:52 PM
Too bad your email is "hidden" on your profile. 

Sorry about that, I was not aware that someone could not email me from this board. I Think I have fixed that now. If not, please let me know.
Quote...
Regarding the apparent "exclusion" of some products from the conversion list; let it be known that some vendors choose not to participate; probably to their own detriment.  Too bad.

Cheers

I wonder, were they all asked? If I were battery/RC or sound system manufacturer, (I'm NOT) or a conversion shop, (I'm NOT) where would I find information about upcoming products from Bachmann? How would they get on a "list" of companies that make various conversion products? If such a list exists, where is it published?

I'd love to see a list of conversion products for my Annie, Lynn, Big Hauler, Two Truck Shay and Three Truck Shay.

glennk28

Well, mine hasn't arrived--via Los Vegas--but reading al the posts--I'm waiting.  For EBT--the roster stops at 18, so 19 or 20 are obvious--or if you want to really be bold--there is a missing number--13--

calenelson

Dr. Rivet...

I would personally (and I bet many others) like to know who was asked and chose not to attend and when if you will...

for your first post you seem to have a great deal of knowledge regarding this subject...

thank you

cale

glennk28

it may be more like who was invited not to attend.  gj

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I spoke to Dave today, and RCS will be included. I'd appreciate a heads-up from any of you letting me know of other after market systems manufacturers we can contact.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Bud Steinhoff

Please include the current Aristo 75mhz on-board in your evaluation.
I am sure there are many that use this system like me and would like to continue putting them in the new locos.
As far as waiting until Aristo comes out with the NEW system, the question is how long are we going to wait and I for one will continue using the 75mhz on-boards and not change everything over for a long time.
Bud

RGSEast

I have been off line for a few days due a Worm call TxHMou.exe. Bad couple of days.

Stan and I have pretty much worked out the AW / Phoenix installation. Found a grounding issue between the Bachmann and Phoenix board. Not the fault of either manufacturer. Tomorrow we are going to test out the latest fixes and should be able to report the results on Monday. The glitch only effects the chuff. We have chuff, but you have to turn on the headlight to get it. Oh well, who said electronics 1A was easy.

Engine runs great and has a low speed operation better than the pilot model. 5 tank cars and an Accu brass caboose up a  3% grade with less that 1/2 throttle. With 4300 Mah batteries (sub C) we should get 4 hours of running with sound and lights.

I now have a 455 pre-wreck on the bench and will verify the component locations will work in the smaller tender.

Will be posting some pictures over on the MLS site and will be happy to discuss how we approached it with any of you.

The good news is that there is lots of room to work inside those tenders, even with the Bachmann board in place.

Rumor has it that Al from AirWire just purchased a K-27...

Roger Cutter
RGS East in 1:20.3

glennk28

As of this afternoon X453W had not OS'ed St.Wubin's in Nevada, but the operator said i had os'ed their Illinois station--as sucj I am figuring it will arrive next year.  Well--the Kadee Shops are closed until then, anyhow.   gj

Charlie Mutschler

I'm cheerfully anticipating here in snowy eastern Washington state.  Given the snow problems in Denver and various other locations, I am not expecting to see X 463 West arrive before the 7th of January.  Meanwhile, I'm cheerfully anticipating, and reading all the helpful information posted here and elsewhere.    Many thanks, Roger, for all the through reports.  I will be especially interested in your comments about the possibilities for battery and sound installation in the standard K-27 tender.  Happy New Year all. 
Charlie Mutschler
-30-

RGSEast

Here is what I posted last night on MLS. Copied so I don't have to type it again. Hope the snow doesn't stop your delivery. I am thinking you guys really need snow pack in your area.

Also working on a quick way to install Accu couplers on the Bachmann engines and rolling stock. Nothing against the Bachmann couplers, as they do work as close to flawlessly as you can, but the looks????? Sorry BAchmann, its a personal problem.

"In answer to a MLS question this engine should navigate 5' radius curves. It won't be pretty, but gets the job done.

I think that the installation will be relatively easy since the tender is large considering what has to be placed in it and no wiring has to be ripped out and replaced. You will have the battery packs in the rear. To do that you will remove a stud that is behind the water hatch and is attached to the floor. What purpose it serves is beyond me. It is plastic and a Zona saw or a Dremel tool will remove it. Then you have the room for 3 rows of 4 batteries, giving you 14.4 volts (16v with charging). This falls under AirWires 18v max above which have to break the batteries up into two groups.
I have checked and you can fit either Sub C or D cells. This will give you between 3800 and 5000 Mah or 4 hours of operation with lights and sound.
From there you have to install the speaker (place provided for up to 3" speaker. I would use a Phoenix or other high quality speaker. Sort of like your stereo, worth the investment. This fits under the Bachmann board.
Next is locating your on/off switch and volume controls. I drilled holes either side of the speaker for these. On/off on engineers side with forward being ON. You can get away with a single pole, double throw. The volume control comes with the Phoenix sound unit and plugs into the board. I located a fuse holder behind the coal doors, which slip out for easy access to the fuse. The Phoenix board sits nicely behind the fuse. In the pictures that were posted I had the fuse in the rear. Next install will reverse the positions. I was using a 2k2 board and it would not fit between the mounting posts for the Bachmann board.
You will have to wire the batteries to the fuse and then to the on/off switch. From there you feed the power to three places, 1 the AW board, 2. the Bachmann board. The AW board has screw terminals (no soldering) the Bachmann board will require two solder connections.
I placed the AW board on top of the Bachmann board. Some double sided stickey tape will do the job on top of the old plug in for the jumper board for DC operation.
There will be two wires that connect the AW board to the Phoenix board. A plug is used at the Phoenix board and screw terminals at the AW board. Two wires will feed the power for the motor from the AW board to the Bachmann board with solder connections. I wire to fire the head light and one for a reverse light will go from the AW board to the Bachmann board with solder connections.
I mounted the charging jack under the tender hatch (some drilling) and that will require connection to your batteries after the fuse and before the on/off switch.
The programming jack is a plug in and you can mount it under the coal load or just wrap it in tape (preventing a short) and drop in into the tender.
Finally the two connections from the Phoenix board to the Bachmann board for the chuff will be necessary and that is where the transistor will be used and we have not finalized that connection. Work in progress.
So far we have approx 8 solder connections excluding those used to hook up the batteries to the fuse and on/off switch. Not bad and we hope that we can help with how to solder to the board without melting down things.

In answer to Mike, the engine does very well. It pulls, starts smoothly and has good speed control with no extra programming on the AW receiver. I set it to 128 steps and it pulled smoothly from a start on level track with no load. Better than the pilot model. With a load of 5 tank cars and a 10 lb Accu caboose, it started smoothly on a 3% grade. Kept running at under 1/2 throttle.

If you look at the video enclosed, we were pulling 15 cars up the same grade with no stalling. Admittedly we had some issues starting on the grade, but that train was heavy and all friction bearings.

With the competitions K-27 they came with incorrect motors, wheel gauge problems  and had to be remotored before they performed properly. Their electrical pickup was poor in the first runs. This engine seems to do it all right out of the box. Lube it, and enjoy.
Till tomorrow"

rslater

Hi Roger,

I see you have a pre wreck 455.  Just what I ordered.  I would love to see a picture.  My question is...did it come with the plow brackets to fill the 4 holes in the smoke box?  Or will I have to make them...

Rick

glennk28

John at Model Railroad News tells me that #464 has arrived in Oregon--review sample direct from Bachmann--so there should be another K-27 review there soon--this month's issue has MMI's HOn3 loco. 

glennk28

I see several K-27's on eBay already! 

bobgrosh

So, I preorder the day after Bachmann announces the part numbers and prices..

Others are just walking into shops, or ordering on ebay while mine has not even been released for shipment.

Last time I preorder.