Can Spectrum DCC and DC locomotives be run together tandem?

Started by lou63, February 17, 2007, 11:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou63

Can anyone tell me if its ok to run say Bachmann Spectrum's DC 4-6-0 with their new DCC 4-4-0 together or say their DC 2-10-0 with the DCC 4-4-0?

the Bach-man

Dear Lou,
They can, but they might not have compatible speeds.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rikc9

I have done this with a MRC 2000. On the three channel console, the first throttle is capable of running DC locomotives. It was easy to match speeds with my DCC locos. All I had to do is watch the coupler slack. That makes operating a fun challenge. Besides, no engineers years ago knew anything about consisting. The DC engine pushed at the rear of the string of freight cars. The DCC loco was in the lead.
Downside is this can be hard on the loco motor while the engine is sitting.

rikc9

lanny

Lou,

Sometime back I asked a similar question regarding double-heading my Spec "DCC ready" 2-8-0 with a new Spec "DCC installed" 2-8-0 (I use only DC/Analog power).

Nigel had some good advice. Here is the essence of what he wrote ... I hope he will correct me if I mess up his advice.

He suggested that in order to not 'overtax' the motors, it would be best to 'clip' or remove a couple of plugs from the 'DCC installed' locomotive tender, so that its motor would require the same amount of power as my 'DCC ready'. I haven't done that yet, because I am working on 'kit bashing' into ICRR, but I think that is a good idea.

Also, remember, if you have a big difference in 'driver' size of the locomotives you are double heading, that will make quite a difference. I tried to double head my Spec 2-8-0 with my IHC 2-10-2 and it just doesn't work well at all. The drivers are too diffrent.

My Spec 2-6-6-2 works beautifully double-headed with the IHC 2-10-2 ... drivers look to be much closer to the same size.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler