News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A Burning Question from a Newbie

Started by jesse, February 18, 2007, 10:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesse

I bought five Budd Passenger Cars for the Santa Fe Chief on EBay.  All the cars were made by Model Power.  They all have horn and hook couplers. I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with these cars and what Kadee knuckle coupler was used to replace the old H&H?

Jesse
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

jayl1

Try a #28 truck mounted.   Also www.kadee.com/conv.ho.htm.  There is a complete listing in Walthers catalogs.

jesse

Thanks, I have a new Walthers catalog on order.  I'll look into Kadee conversion and see what they recommend.

Jesse

SteamGene

If your curves are broad enough, look to bodymounting your couplers.  If you have 22 inch radius body mount should work. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jesse

Body mounts may do the job....I have several very long cars and Walthers recommend 24" radius.

Jesse

lanny

Jesse,

I haven't used Model Power cars, but do have a set of IHC streamlined cars ... my radius ranges from one tight area of 28" to probably around 38".

Body mounted couplers (kadee for head end cars and dummy for the rest of the consist) solved all of my derailing problems. Leave enough slack in the coupler so the whole draft box turns, if you have tight radius.

I am able to back a 7 car IHC consist at any speed through #6 tunouts now, without any derailments (cars were weighted, trucks reamed, and IHC metal wheel/axle sets installed).

Locomotive used to test consist running quality is a P2K E9 unit or a Bachmann Spec. F40 PH.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

jesse

Thanks, Lanny.  Those are some good points to remember when I get my layout finished.  Right now my plans are for a fairly simple one based on the San Bernardino Station and yard.

Jesse