News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2008 On30 Annual - 4-6-0

Started by japasha, December 27, 2007, 03:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japasha

I finally got my 2008 On30 Annual. Nice.

There are projects for every level of skill. The best one (actually 2) Is a 4-6-0 conversion using a Thomas HO 4-6-0 frame and mechanism for power. Very slick. I'm getting another 2-6-0 for the necessary boiler and cab parts. The article is on page 75 of the annual.

On page 44 or so is a nice modification of the 2-6-0 by Jim Wlkes, simple but the results are very nice.

I'm not waiting for the 4-6-0 to be made by Bachmann as they already make the components to build either a nice F&CC or RGS/SP/NCO/PC 4-6-0.
Dusten, you'd better learn how to kit bash as that's the only way you'll get an On30 4-6-0 anytime soon. This is an easy kit bash.

BIG BEAR

I just picked-up my copy at my LHS, now to find time to read it,
darn honey-do list.  Oh tommorrow we are going to check out a public display of a Christmas village, with trains, before they close for the season.

Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

mmiller

Thanks...I built the 4-6-0 ;)

I really like the way it came out and I can't wait to see the article (haven't got my On30 Annual yet)

I also built an SP style 4-6-0 from an On30 2-6-0...it was A LOT more work  ;)

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4166868&a=31307841&p=68669655
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

japasha

Have you finished the SP 4-6-0? Just curious. I spent this evening selecting PVC for the boiler of my 4-6-0. This wqill be easier to adapt to the Thomas 4-6-0 for the model I want. The mechanism is stripped and the eye gears discarded. Silly but what the kids want.

I noticed that you cheated a bit by using a Precision Scale pilot and deck. Slick. We'll see how this goes. Looks much easier to use plastic than an old C-16 boiler I have. One never knows until they finish the model as to what will get used.

C.S.R.R. Manager

Now this sounds promising.  I've had a 4-6-0 bash on my to-do list for some time, and I PDF'ed Mike's photos of his previous bashes in progress, hoping to find time for this sort of major project.  Good to hear that there is a simpler alternative, and that I need to go shopping for a certain green loco.

Ken

Had hoped to find the annual at my LHS, no luck but with a Green egine
and a Red engine @ Can $30:00 each, need to decide on a 4-6-0 or a
4-6-2, downside Gift Certificate for another LHS. Maybe a Brecon Mtn Rly
Pacific, protoype was 2ft gauge.

Ken
   GWN

mmiller

hi, there used to be a link in my sugnature to some completed pictures of a couple of my 4-6-0s...but it looks like signatures are turned off (probably a good thing)...

anyway here's the link: http://webpages.charter.net/mransr/trains.htm (boy I REALLY need to update my website...ah well)
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines

C.S.R.R. Manager

I'm still waiting patiently for the Post Office to deliver my copy of the On30 Annual, and I've been looking at the Thomas products.  I've assumed that "Henry" is the "donor" for the 4-6-0 bash, being the right wheel config.  Is that correct?

Thanks...

mmiller

I haven't got my copy yet either...

but, yes a Henry was the donor loco
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines

Chatzi473

do you have to use a thomas engine or can you use another ho 4-6-0?

The Old Fardt

I expect to receive the latest copy of On30 annual on Monday.
Pony express takes a little longer to get here in the pacific northWet.
Cheers, TOF

az2rail

Picked up my copy yesterday at the LHS. Called them friday, and they just recieved them. Good thing I asked them to hold one, because when I got mine, the rest were gone. Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

mmiller

Quote from: Chatzi473 on December 29, 2007, 11:43:26 PM
do you have to use a thomas engine or can you use another ho 4-6-0?

I'm sure a lot of different HO locos would work...I used an IHC 4-6-2 in another 4-6-0 conversion...

I choose the Thomas engine because it was cheap, didn't have oversize flanges and it had larger pilot wheels than any of the HO locos I've looked at before...

I got a copy of the On30 Annual yesterday and  it looks like they didn't have enough room for more of the constructions pictures (or more likely they couldn't work with my "iffy" pictures  :-\ ) ...so I'll try and put together a web page for those that are interested...

mike
San Juan Pacific Lines
http://webpages.charter.net/mransr/trains
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines

C.S.R.R. Manager

Mike, that would be great.  The more info, the better, and your step-by-step photos with the other 2 conversions were very helpful.  Thanks much.

I did notice that the On30 Annual's website has a section for "Xtra's", PDF's of pages that didn't make the magazine, for whatever reason.  I also noticed that they have an article on converting a Forney to a 2-4-0 tender engine, another conversion that I've been thinking of doing.

Rich R

Just a point. It's not Westlake. ( Finescale Railroader Annuals and no more magazine just books BTW.)  it's Carstens and they had a problem with the printer they were using. The 0N30 Annual was from Highlands Station ( model Railroading mag) R.I.P.
The hobby shops copies got sent out and about 1/3rd of the orders have been shipped They had to wait for the rest of the new print order to arrive and are mailing those out today.
Spoke with them this AM as for US $6.00 postage you would think they would have had USPS hand deliver each copy the day they got the order.
Say what you will about Highland Station but when you ordered from them it got to you FAST!
Westlake rags? You have to explain that one.  ???
Anyway, that's the news on the new On30 annuals direct from Carstens this AM.

Happy new year all,

Rich R