News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ON30 combine to motorcar

Started by ebtmike18, December 27, 2007, 04:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtmike18

I received a ON30 bachmann combine for Christmas and have plans on converting it to a motorcar, sort of like the EBT M-1 (not exact of coarse but close). Any suggestions on powering the car? I know backwoods miniature makes a conversion kit but I rather not have to go through overseas ordering.

scottychaos

Any random HO scale diesel should do the job nicely.
just get one with ARR type trucks, Alco or U-boat 4-axle trucks,
this style of truck:

http://www.calclassic.com/alco/photos/soo352.jpg

those trucks look similar to the EBT M1 trucks:

http://www.gsmrrclub.org/trips/EBT03_1.jpg

Measure the length and width of the coach, the go to a hobby shop or train show and measure up some diesels!
basically you can take an appropriate HO scale diesel and swap shells..
it will obviously take a little more fiddling than that to make it fit, but thats the basic concept.

the only potential issue is that the HO scale diesel trucks will probably be a little on the small side..but they will probably look ok.

Scot

japasha

Mike,

The M-1 is a steel car built by Brill. I made a reasonable copy using a Lionel shell from a standard combine.

I also have built a Gas Electric using a Bachmann On30 combine. I used a single Athearn power truck from a GP 40 and motor to do the job, the motor and truck fit in the baggage area. I will provide photos off line to you directly if you are interested.

I made adapter blocks to attach the Bachmann truck sideframes to the power truck.. The modifications yield a very nice running gas-electric capable of pulling two passenger cars or four freight cars up a 3% grade.

Jim Pasha
japasha@aol.com

ebtmike18

Did not think of using a lionel combine for the M1, that may be my next project.  :)

I would appreciate it if you could send me a photo of you're motor car, here's my email: ebtmike@gmail.com