News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why is bachmann

Started by trainman_65, December 29, 2007, 09:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman_65

Why is it that the bachmann loco so dang noisy. I got three of them and they all sound like something it coming apart in them. the last one i got was a H16-44 it runs great but you cant talk over it running in the room with you. Now i have about 10 atlas models and you cant hear them running. Whats up with this.

trainman_65

Whats up Mr Bachmann don't work on the weekends.

brokemoto

Noisy Atlas locomotives:

Baldwin VO-1000--My favourite N scale switcher.
Shay-  But then, the prototpye is really noisy.

Noisy Kato locomotives:

NW-2-- My second favourite N scale switcher.
Mikado-- at anything over thirty-five SMPH

Noisy E-R locomotives:

Sharks

Noisy MP locomotives:

Pacific
mikado
eight-wheeler
mogul

It ain't just Bachpersonns that are  noisy.

It does not bother me, that much.

the Bach-man

Dear Trainman,
Once your locos are lubricated and broken in they should quiet down considerably.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

trainman_65

The spectrum dash 8 is about a year old and it still sounds like a full size train coming through the house. I don't buy this broke in junk. If you don't know just say we are sorry we don't know what to tell you.

BetICanBuildIt

I may have an answer to your question. I bought an N Scale McKinley Explorer for my kid for Chrismas last year. I noticed a lot of noise also. After a while of running it, I became curious enough to take it apart to see what was the matter.   

When I split the chassis and cleaned it up, I noticed the paint on the inside of the engine, was worn off in the vicinity of the worm gear that drives the wheels. So my theory is that the noise is the plastic worm gear rubbing the motor/drive housing.

I had planned to take a dremel tool to the offending side and ever so gently remove some metal. . . .  but the motor died. Unfortunately I never registered, and I can't get them to send me a new motor after several emails. So now my loco is a basket case.   

daniel_leavitt2000

trainman_65...
First, being rude does nothing to answer your question. This board has one monitor who answers many, many questions. Maybe if you would like an immeadiate answer you could post on a non holliday weekend.

Bachmann Spectrum engines are produced for slow speed control. This means the fastest they go is maybe 80 scale MPH where Atlas goes up to 150 MPH and Kato goes up to 230 MPH. With higher gear reduction comes more gear noise. So yes, they are noisier but they opperate slower.

kevin2083

QuoteUnfortunately I never registered, and I can't get them to send me a new motor after several emails. So now my loco is a basket case.   

I've heard that E-mail is not the way to go for service. try calling instead. 
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

robderebel

Noise is usually  a combination of things, and gear reduction doesn't nec  mean more, depends on the  makeup of the gears..

Atlas's new slow speed motor generally means a top end speed of 104 to 115 mph.  the original motor put out about 200 mph,  Er models Sharks have a higher reduction and a slow speed motor, they top out at about 80 mph.  It is good to note that the type of pack you have will either make the loco quieter or noiser.

Locos that respond well to smoother dcc are the ER sharks. Packs with high v spikes, square wave, 1/2 wave dc generally make more noise.   Loose body shells will  also magnify noise, as poor lubrication. try a plastic compat grease on the  gears, and insure the motor fits snugly in its holder or frame.

Rob

railspike55

I like noisy loco's ..... they quite the voices in my head.

just kidding,

Some locos have brass gears that take longer to break in
I have several older locos with these gears and they are noiser then
the new ones w/plastic gearing.

Good lubercation should help.

Ron