News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old West Structures

Started by C_Burke, December 29, 2007, 10:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Burke

Aloha Gang,

Newbie here. I finally have the room to get serious about modeling.
   I have a 5'x10' table to start with and my vision is to model an imaginary old west railroad.
   The question I have is where can I find some decent old west style buildings etc. that will not break the bank. I have found plans for them and I found some in the $60-$80 range, but I do not want to spend that much.

Thank you in advance and Happy New Year.

Chuck Burke
Maui Hawaii.

adiant

Walthers HO catalogue has lots of buildings that I thought would fit into my planned Old West HO layout.  For example, 254-56 is $21.95 for a Newspaper Office.

Hobby Shops have the paper catalogue, or you can browse on-line.  I would start here:  http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=Structure&scale=H&manu=&item=&keywords=&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

By the way, what locomotive did you choose to fit into the era?

pgarman

Hi Chuck
Google Mainstreet Heritage Models.  They have an excelent line of old time structures at very reasonable prices.
Paul

SteamGene

What part of the Old West?  Buildings in Arizona and New Mexico looked very different from buildings in Montana and Wyoming.  Fort Sill and Fort Abraham Lincoln were vastly different.  These are just some examples.
Merry Seventh Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Terry Toenges

I like Bachmann's Old West buildings. They are some of the neatest I've found.
I got all of mine from EBay, but I don't see any listed right now.
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/bachmannhoscaleaccessoriesandkits/id37.html
Feel like a Mogul.

adiant

Sadly, it appears from Bachmann's web site, and the Walther's catalogue, that Bachmann no longer makes this Old West line within Plasticville.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

WoundedBear

These guys make kits in various scales....maybe something here catches your eye?

http://www.wildwestmodels.com/Products.html

Sid

C_Burke

WOW! Thank you all for the responses. I will have to look at some of the online options because there is only ONE hobby shop on Maui and it focuses on radio control models.....

I will keep you posted as to my progress. In the meantime here is a link a friend of mine found for me. http://www.musketminiatures.com/

Thanks again for all the friendly responses.

Chuck Burke
Maui Hawaii

C_Burke

Quote from: SteamGene on December 31, 2007, 09:45:16 AM
What part of the Old West?  Buildings in Arizona and New Mexico looked very different from buildings in Montana and Wyoming.  Fort Sill and Fort Abraham Lincoln were vastly different.  These are just some examples.
Merry Seventh Day of Christmas
Gene

Gene, thanks for pointing that out. I had always assumed Arizona/New Mexico because it is a boot hill/ghost town thing I have in my mind.

I have a LONG way to go before I can run this thing. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks
Chuck

C_Burke

By the way, what locomotive did you choose to fit into the era?

=========================

I have not made that decision yet, however there are a couple of "old style" locomotives that bachmann offers.

chuck

grumpy

Try Roundhouse . Their models are specifically for that era.
Don

TonyD

I finally found what I was looking for to help your hunt, super cheep, but unil you can find better ones, then move these further back....AHM mini miniatures? From the 70's or early 80's- Cardboard cut outs like a little kid's book....too nice for kids to play with!! super nice printed sheets, purferated, with folding corners, but really good details. Like a 4 page booklet with several HO western buildings, can't cost much unless you bid against an ebay packrat. Got no idea what catagory this would be in... good luck, Tony
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler