Anniversary Edition Variety of Construction not just Road Names

Started by granpab, January 01, 2008, 01:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

granpab

As I read about the Annie, it seems there are variations in the drive mechanism among those in sets and those bought individually.  Is there differences and which is better - more reliable?

Steve Stockham

As I understand it, the "Annie" (10th Anniversary edition) utilizes the same 5th generation gearing as the latest Big Hauler. The difference is in the detailing on the outside! The Annie's engine was re-tooled and has been upgraded almost to Spectrum detailing! It's unfortunate that the tender did not receive the same level of upgrade! (If nothing else, the coal load should have been re-done!) The easiest way to tell the difference between an Annie and a regular Big Hauler is that the Annie has metal gearing.
  Now, as to sets (and this is where I think you are getting confused) almost all sets have regular Big Haulers in them! A notable exception has been the Christmas sets offered these last couple of years at Sams and a couple of other retailers. Right up until this year they were including Anniversary detailed editions in the Christmas sets. Even here there are discrepancies as Sam's Club had a Wonderland Flyer that had a red boiler with full Walchaert's gearing whereas another retailer (I can't recall the name right now) had the same set but with the simple pseudo Stephenson gearing! (Go figure....) As far as the internal drive mechanism is concerned, all Annies are alike.
  So what was all that about "earlier issues with older drivetrains?" Well, Bachmann has made a plethora of Christmas sets with Big Haulers in them. Some sets have the same names as the new ones that are coming out now! The thing is some of these sets may be older ones with earlier versions of Big Haulers! The only way to know for sure is to learn what is what and to physically check for yourself!
  As intimated, there are five different "generations" of regular Big Haulers. The Annie is a version unto itself as it shares the latest drivetrain but otherwise is heads and tails above the regular Big Haulers! I hope that helps.

granpab

That does help!  5-versions & then Annie.  Annie's the best.  Identify Annie by metal side rods.
Thanx so much Steve.