News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Different Road Numbers

Started by Mark Damien, February 16, 2007, 05:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Damien

G'day All,

I Bought another Western Maryland 2-8-0 the other day. It is the DCC version. It carries a different Road number on the cab, & this is the only reason I bought it.

My Decaling skills........well, lets not talk about that. :-[

I have always been confused why Bachmann US does not use different road numbers on their locos every year or two to create some variety. The practice is rife in British outline.

So the question is....

Would you buy a second loco,   of the same type,   if it had a different number?
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

kennywsp4

Heck yes. I buy the same numbered  ones even now ;D

SteamGene

Yes, if it's one that I need. But I also decal.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Mark Damien

Gene,
I hate [read : envy - green, green greeeeeen] people like you.  ;)

Why my decaling stinks, I just don't know. I've followed all the correct methods, set down by members of this board, ModelRoader & others. I'm just doomed.

Tim Warris, creator & ultimately destroyer of the Port Kelsey Railroad [May it rest in peace], has a laser engraver - Sort of a printer that uses lasers to cut or etch the material in any intricate pattern you can CAD.

He uses this to make model buildings, boxes, sleeper sets to go under hand made turnouts & makes stencils of "Port Kelsey RR" & loco numbers. He then sprays the perfectly cut name & number on the model.

Now I admit, I can decal my son’s miniature war hammer pieces, I can decal a model plane, but for the life of me, I cannot decal a model train satisfactorily. I have been spray painting bikes, boats, helmets, cars, & model trains without any problems.

So obviously all I need is a Laser printer to do the stencil work & I can spray instead of decaling. Just gotta find me a spare 'G' note
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

GlennW

I'm an Nscaler. I tend to buy & run all of my locos in pairs. I like to run them with odd/even numbers, with odds East & evens West. THen I can give all my trains numbers in the timetable.

I'd like to see Bachmann follow a practice of offering 2-6 numbers in a roadname every year, then produce new numbers in 2-3 years. They could also produce some cars in a variety of paint schemes. Some proto cars get new slogans or paint schemes as they are rebuilt.

Mark Damien

Glenn,
To extend my ON30 train, I bought two Bachmann coaches [with the same number-no choice], but luckily the last number was "4", which was easily changed to a "1". I too, would like to see rolling stock numbers changed occasionally.
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Loco Bill Canelos

Ny vote goes to doing runs of 4 different numers, and all reruns of the same item in four different numbers. 

I believe it would be a good business decision and increase sales!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Seasaltchap

The best way by far is as the manufacturers do it, with Pad Printing.

The commercial set-up is quite complicted, but a simple rig is quite feasible. I have been raking through the off-cuts in my local metal merchants non-ferous box, and working with a mitre saw and a non-ferous blade to cut parts. I have a 3hp Porter Cable router with spiral bits that shape pieces for me, using 1/2" ply formers with handles to brace the part. Everything is M6 tap, and ACE Hardware have a good selection M6 hex-head bolts.

It is important to keep a set for the pad picking up the ink, and then placing it on the object. Plates are photo etched each end for color separations and relatively cheap.

I have gone for a closed cup inking system, and I have currently been drawn into making a miniature x-y table for fine setting of the placement on items.

Regards
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

murfling

I vote fpr the different road numbers, and I think on some items, they are doing this. I have 2 complete 5 unit Acela trains, and there are different road numbers all the way down the line.  Of course, to make the prototypically correct, I need another coach on each one, so a couple more would be nice, but they are out there.

BIG BEAR

I would love for Bachmann to change the engine & rolling stock numbers at least every couple years.
       I too have multiples of some # on engines and on several rolling stock pcs. 4 of the #4 coaches.
       I really need to have my daughter or son-in-law, both great artistically,
to make a 14,34,44 no need for #24 thats gordon's # Yuck, puke, gag.
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.