News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Equipped 4-8-4

Started by 3dmike, January 02, 2008, 08:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3dmike

I recently bought the Cavailer set with a DCC equipped Class J 4-8-4.  I would like to add sound.  After looking at the drawing for the DCC equipped and the DCC Sound, the only difference I see is a speaker added to the DCC Sound.

Both the PCB and the decoder are the same.

What do I need to do to add sound?

New to DCC...

SteamGene

You need a sound decoder and a speaker(s).  You probably also will need to cut the capacitors.
Merry Ninth Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

3dmike

So the decoder in the unit will not work if I just add a speaker.

Will I have to remove the old decoder and install a new one? 

Can I buy an OEM sound decoder?

SteamGene

You will need a sound decoder.  You will also need a speaker if the decoder comes without a speaker. 
Merry Eleventh Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

3dmike

Any suggestion on choice of sound decoders?

ta152h0

I have seen no answer yet on this forum the methodology to adding sound to a decoder already installed in the machine. I personally just bought decoders with sound ( speaker attached ) and replaced the factory electronics in my 4-8-4. I am guessing the sound software is not burn't into the factory boards that come with factory DCC Equipped locomotives. I have a 2-10-0 decapod with a LENS decoder and the manual states you have to add a S.U.S.I. sound card to add a speaker resulting in having to solder four wires to described pads on the decoder. So my Decapod sounds so electric.

3dmike

So back to my orginal thinking remove the OEM decoder and purchase a new one with sound.

Does Bachmann sell the same decoder they use in sound equipped modeles?

Thanks

SteamGene

They do not yet.
Have a great Twelveth Night.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat