Bachman Digital Commander Delux Set HO

Started by jjanseni, January 04, 2008, 10:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjanseni

Scale, Category: HO Scale - Sets
Item No: 00501
Name: Digital Commander
Roadname: Santa Fe; Union Pacific

I want to place the above set, with additional EZ track not in the kit, around a room that is 10' X 12'. I understand from reading on the website one can purchase the EZ track straight pieces in a bulk package. Will I need an additional voltage booster. I also want to purchase a truss bridge and have been looking at the Atlas Code 100 truss bridge. Any suggestions would be welcome as I am a novice grandmother/want-a-be carpenter who plans to put this all together around the perimeter of my 6 year old grandson's bedroom. I live in the US just incase you need to know this for the power issue if I indeed have the issue? I hope this message board is the place to post this.

the Bach-man

Dear JJ,
Assuming that your grandson will not be running huge trains, power feeders will probably suffice. These are simply wires that run the original power source to a variety of points around the layout.   If he decides to run long trains with many locomotives you may need to consider our 5 amp booster.
The Atlas bridge will be fine- just cut off the roadbed clip in adjacent sections.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jjanseni

Thanks for the response. I apologize for being such a novice but would you share any parts numbers or send me to some reading material that will show how the power feeders can be hooked up. I am sure we will need to purchase the 5 Amp booster at some point but I am just getting this up and running above the door frames first. We will get fancy later on as we become more educated. Much appreciated.

THB-DAVE

With a small layout like yours with one engine its unlikely you will need a 5 amp boaster and just adding more power feeders spaced along the rails will deal with any power drop.

Dave

The Old Man

I have the same set as the OP.  I think she's asking (and I too would like to know) what are the part numbers of the power feeders and how are they hooked up to the Bachmann DCC EZ controller?  Are the power feeders a Bachmann product?

THB-DAVE

A power feeder is just the wires that transfer the power to the rails and in the case of DCC, the signal also. You can solder directly to the rails or rail joiners or buy Atlas terminal rail joiners and simply pigtail onto the ends of the wires if they are too short. Atlas sells layout wire and if you just by wire at a electical supply store I suggest 18 guage wire.

Dave

jjanseni

Thanks for the feedback. I was told off line by someone that has done this before that what I needed is an Atlas-Code 100-Terminal Joiner-HO and like THB-Dave mentioned...get some 18 gage wire if I need a longer connection than 10'...in my case I will. Great responses...thanks again.

SteamGene

I think that using the Atlas terminal joiners is a good idea.  I'd use a pair every four or five sections of track to be on the safe side.  I'd also NOT PUT them side by side, but stagger them by a section.  Next, I'd ignore the terminal track piece.  Instead, separate the wires and cut one plug.  Then twist and solder the 18 gauge wire to the cut ends and run it around the layout, underneath the track or subroadbed.  The terminal strip wires are then soldered to the 18 gauge after stripping away a bit of insulation (the reason for staggering the terminal joiners).  This gives you a nice, neat wiring solution that is easy to hide.
Merry Eleventh Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

BIG BEAR

JJ,
     You are already using EZ Track, just use another terminal re-railer & run another 10 ft  terminal wire (red) to the existing power source. it's the EZ-ist way you can do this.
    Good luck,
                 Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

The Old Man

Quote from: BIG BEAR on January 05, 2008, 12:54:47 AM

JJ,
     You are already using EZ Track, just use another terminal re-railer & run another 10 ft  terminal wire (red) to the existing power source. it's the EZ-ist way you can do this.
    Good luck,
                 Barry
Isn't there only one red output socked on the EZ DCC controller?