News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which loco inspired Bachmann's Connie?

Started by joe rusz, January 06, 2008, 12:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe rusz

Me and the guys at MLS are debating as to which loco originally served as the prototype for Bachmann's large-scale Connie. At the time I heard it was a Cuban sugar railroad loco. But apparently some access problems developed and Lee Riley had to look elsewhere--namely Adler Gulch in Montana, which at this time is not on the State Department's don't visit list. So which is it?

the Bach-man

Dear  Joe,
It's basically a Baldwin catalog model similar to both the locos mentioned, but identical to neither. The great thing about the Baldwin catalog is that credible locos can be extrapolated from the information available there.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

geoff

I have a picture of it at the Pamona Fair Grounds in Los Angeles. It is or was back in the 80's a static display along with several other locomotives behind a chainlink fence. With the Big Boy, 9000 class etc you can miss it if you don't look.

Tony Walsham

As the Bachmann says the Connie was based on a Baldwin catalogue loco. However, it is my understanding that this is the prototype for the Connie.

Those pics were taken at Edaville in about 1985.
The loco subsequently went to Alder Gulch where it was rebuilt and remains in service.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).