News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Roundhouses and E-Z track

Started by mikec069, January 06, 2008, 03:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikec069

Well I got my auto-reverse to work.  Thanks to all for your help.

(Jim; I to suffer from S.W.M.B.O    ;) (She Who Must Be Obeyed)

To all:
I am hoping to put in a roundhouse/turntable to store my 'not in use at the moment' locos.  The question is 'Is there a pre-built round house that has the following characteristics.  (Numbers depicts priority)

1: As stated before, Prebuilt
1: does NOT require cutting holes into my table
2: can handle the E-Z track roadbed. (explanation to follow list)
3: Has many 'stops' planning (hoping if S.W.M.B.O will let me, expand the layout.
4: Motorized

Explanation:  Someting that after I cut off the plastic connectors, and remove the rail joins will be flush with the turntable/roundhouse.

Is there a difference between turntable & roundhouse, or are they used interchangably?

Thanks to all.  Will have pics and story soon.  I'll let you know when and where.

kevin2083

"roundhouse" and "turntable" are not the same thing and can't be interchanged.

The difference between a turntable and roundhouse is this: a turntable is the part that actually turns the locomotive, and the roundhouse is the building where the locomotives are stored. The roundhouse goes on the outside edge of the turntable with any number of stalls (places for trains inside). Turntables can vary in length from 120 scale feet (about 16") to 60 scale feet (about 8"). 

Atlas makes prebuilt a turntable that doesn't need a hole cut in the table, can be motorized, and has 21 stops. I don't know if E-Z track will work with it, I haven't tried. It can hold a loco up to 9" long.

Hope this helps
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

mikec069