News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding sound to Forney and 2-8-0

Started by brunor, January 08, 2008, 05:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brunor

Hi there. I am the owner of one early Forney and one 2-8-0 that just have DCC decoders. I would like to add sound to both. Which sound decoder would be the best fit? The newest Forneys have a built-in Tsunami, but I guess this is a custom version that is not available as a separate part.

Thanks
--
Bruno R.
Bruno R.

Tomcat

Bruno,

best get a Soundtraxx Tsunami for both. Look at www.soundtraxx.com for the details, there are lots of Shops arround which have the Tsunamis for reasonable prices. For example, try Litchfieldstation or Tony´s Trains, both usually have them...

I used the Tsunami "Light Steam" on the Forney, since it´s a tight fit you may have to cover the Decoder a bit with black cardboard since it will peep out of the water tank, to be easily seen in the Cab due to their purple colour. But no problem, if you cut a piece of cardboard, fold and glue it into some kind of box shape with one open end - that´s it.

For the 2-8-0 the medium Steam or (what I liked better on my second 2-8-0) - the DRGW C-Class. Keep in mind that the DRGW C-16, C-18, C-19 etc. were Consolidations so this is (in my eyes, eeh - ears...) a perfect fit for the Bachmann Engine. Fits perfect, best get the Soundtraxx speaker as well.

If I can give you some more assistance, please let me know.
Kind regards and "Throttle up"...

Tom

brunor

Thank you Tom for your reply.
I have been on the Soundtraxx web site and I have found that a smaller Tsunami decoder exists now (TSU-750). So, it should fit better in the Forney, but it is also more expensive.
I will probably follow your preference regarding the 2-8-0 sound and use the C-class decoder. Unfortunately it seems there is no sound sample of it on the Soundtraxx web site to compare with the medium steam.
Bruno R.

OldStone

Brunor:
If you have not already done so, check www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/of_sound/  to see how Harold does it with the two large speakers.  I did this with the light steam Tsunami on a 2-6-0 and the results are fantastic!  I am heartily in favor of using the entire tender shell as a sound box and installing the biggest speakers that will go in there.  That big shell is one of the best things about the On30 scale vs HO.  Good luck....the Tsunami will put you in a whole new world.
OldStone   O & W RR

brunor

Hi Oldstone.

This is a very interesting solution! Thank you for providing the link. BTW there are a lot more interesting things on this web site  ;)

Bruno
Bruno R.