News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Telephone Poles

Started by Robert Grace, February 19, 2007, 03:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

I like Atlanticcentral's differentiation of poles by function, but am left wondering what you call pole that support only tv cable?  The only time I have seen these is where the utilities were being relocated under ground, and the cable company was the last to get around to it.

However, I am sure a certain model railroad company would be delighted it we referred to out bare, unstrung poles as "Airwire poles.'
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Atlantic Central

Jim,

They would be "sleezy blood sucking utility poles" once everyone else had their stuff off. And, it seems in my years as an electrician, they where always last.

Sheldon

Robert Grace

Wow--started quite a discussion. I don't remember seeing this on the old board, but then again, I'm a newbie.  What I'm attempting to model is my old area in Kentucky where I grew up--ca. 1950-end of passenger train era, so plenty of poles still around then.  Still remember sitting in an old tobacco warehouse waiting for loads of dark-fired tobacco to come in--warehouse located near the L&N tracks--as a young-un would count the cars and listen to old Jimmie Rodgers music. Ah, the rural life
Brooklyn Bob
L&N

r.cprmier

Once you find a prototype distance that you are satisfied with, do this:  Space your poles a bit closer on the layout.  what this will do is give the impression of distance.  Not being a psychologist, I can't tell you why, but it does work.

I have to cross an approx. 400 foot wide river on my layout.  It is already done with two Walthers bascule bridges and Central Valley girders;, but I like the way United Illuminating did it along the viaduct between New Haven and GCT in The City; that is, they ran the lines up to the river (in this case, the Housatonic) then raised the lines up to what looks to be about 150 feet or so, and strung the conductors across the river, thus eliminating the possibility of any sway caused by wind making the wires hit the structure; either raised or lowered-and it does get windy at that location.  The structures I am going to use are re-worked (Vollmer) utility risers, probably doubled; that is, two at each footing.  I like the idea.  It has the same appeal as this little blonde I know...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Bill Baker

Check out this website for telephone wire products and also their traffic lights.  Click on the link "scenery improving products" for a picture of their elastic wire.

http://www.berkshirejunction.com/
Bill

r.cprmier

Bill;
Berkshire Junction" has some pretty nice stuff, like the traffic signals, which would be prototypically correct for Connecticut cities, as they are suspended by cable.  That lycra thred they market is really great for along the track wires, but you still have the sag issue, and sag is a part of the electrical construction-it is a neccessary consideration on the prototype install.

One trick I have employed with regard to installing "wire sag" is to use fine music wire, but I don't think it  would work with standard poles, such as "Rick Rideout's product, only because of the compressive effort of several or more "conductors".  It will, however, work with a structured tower, such as the ones that run along the viaduct between New Haven and GCT.  I don't paint them, I blacken them.  Painstaking task, but well worth the effort, if you are a stickler for detail (or a masochist!).

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Bill Baker

Rich,

How do you attach your wire to the pole arms?  A spot of glue perhaps?  To achieve your line sag, could you not affix one section to your pole arm, allow that spot to dry, then affix the next section, and so on? To me this would seem to allow you to form your sag before moving on to your next section.

Bill
Bill

Hunt

If you want to have wires between the poles, consider using Spandex thread. It looks as good as wire and much easier with which to work. Its elastic property will be beneficial when hands or other objects come in contact with the "wires" when they should not.

Yes, you still can have the sag between poles. Attach with ACC. Spandex thread can be painted. It comes in different sizes although the fabric - sewing shop may have to order the size you need for scale.

Atlantic Central

the product Hunt is recommending is the same as the product I recommended from Berkshire Junction which they sell under the trade name EZ Line. It comes in two sizes and a selection of colors at about $12.00 for a 100 foot spool.

Sheldon