It nose bee four two long,
And eye can make the error rite,
Its rare lee ever rong.

Eye have run this pome threw it,
I am shore your pleezed two no,
Its letter perfect awl the weigh,
My chequer tolled me sew.

SteamGene

And we have members who have done that.   Do note, however, that American spelling and English/Canadian/Australian spelling vary with several classes of words.  Roger's "honour" is perfectly correct. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

Well, we can now go to the theatre and see the cinema if you will come and knock me up.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

I say, mate, how about if I ring you up instead?  For proper English, there is this lizard on the telly...

In Hartford Ct, there was a radio announcer named Bob Steele; who for many years, would occasionally do a little poem called "Albert and the Lion".  he usually did it in either a rather a "Limehouse" dialect; rather amusing, because mot many here can do it.  Bob was also a real stickler for English usage, as well as spelling.   Back in the nineties, this state lost this great personality to-what had to be old and satisfyingly accomplished age.

As for the "colour, honour, centre," etc, a good many people in the US were taught or have adopted usage of that spelling. Not such a bad thing.

Well, pip pip, and cheerio there, old chap.

Rich 
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Terry Toenges

I had a problem with someone when she asked if I wanted a spot of dick until I realized she was offering me pudding.
Feel like a Mogul.

SteamGene

Terry,
I thnk that was "spotted Dick" that she offered you.  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Hey; you guys have been watching "King Ralph" again...

Rich
Rich

Yukonsam

Hi

Didn´t Churchill during the WW2 in a speech to the Congress say something like "We are one people, divided by a common language"?

Regards, Yukonsam

SteamGene

Churchill said that.  I'm not exactly sure when or where.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Terry Toenges

Gene - Spotted or not, I don't want any! ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

SteamGene

Terry,
I think I saw some of the receipe in an Aubry-Matirin book.  When you've been six months a sea without setting foot on land whilst traveling in one of HM frigates, it might be good.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

From Wikipedia:

Spotted dick is a steamed pudding, containing dried fruits, usually currants. The dessert originates in and continues to be popular in the United Kingdom, especially Scotland, where, presumably, it was originally created. Usually served either with custard or with butter and brown sugar. Spotted refers to the raisins (which resemble spots) and Dick may be a contraction/corruption of the word pudding (from the last syllable) or possibly a corruption of the word dough.[1] It is also known as spotted dog, plum duff, steamed dicky, dicky pudding, figgy dowdy, dotted lloyd, dicky widmark as well as plum bolster, Spotted Richard. and it is sometimes even called a Dickie Burton after the famous actor.

Funny thing is that in the A/B books, plum duff and figgy dowdy seem to be different dishes.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
With respect to a country that invented Haggis, I think you might have stepped a dite too far (urp!)

BTW; you never answered my question.

RIch
Rich

SteamGene

Rich,
That was a statement, not a question.  For me the answer is "no."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat