Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how long i have been in this hobby

Started by cprailhomodeltrainenginop, February 19, 2007, 04:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFJOHNL312

DGLE? We don't need no stinkin' DGLE!

RAM

I have been in HO 60 years.  I have seen alot of changes.  I have seen Bachmann go from junk to great, and other companies die.  The only one that I can think of that is still going is Walthers.  Also Model Railroader Mag.

BIG BEAR

First layout was with my Dad & Brother 1968-1974, Tyco train running around Tyco slot carset, Both HO. I even joined the "HO" club at our grade school. 3rd-4th grade 69-71. I remember grandpa's cigar boxes covered in construction paper made for good "strip malls" W/ parking lots full of Matchbox & Hot Wheels cars.
        Second go was also in HO, I purchased my son a Tyco HO G.I. Joe
set from a garage sale we used it from 1985-88. he also had the slot cars.
I still have his train set.
        Third time I wanted to add some thing to my wife's Christmas village
so in 2004 I took GI Joe track and ran a Christmas trolley (Bachmann Brill) HO. Well my wife has Relinquished ownership of Village so I could run my  
On30 passenger train in 05, and added On30 freight train for 06. She now Knows this will last 'til may or June than 2 Mos. planning 2 Mos building next years display.  

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Mark Damien

'64 was a very good year.
a very good year,
for wide eyed boys,
with sinders in their eyes.
Two ovals of track,
a pair of locos to play.
It was a very good year.

Thanx for the memories Big Bear.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

SteamGene

I guess I got my first trains when I was five - Lionel steam.  When I was seven, I guess, I received a New York Central streamline passenger train - AA diesel with three cars.  It was taken apart, never to run again, when we moved to Japan in 1953.  In college I dabbled with HO but gave away the stuff to some friends with young children in the early '70s.  The "stuff" included a painted Jeresey Central ten Wheeler camel back, probably brass.  I went back into HO about 1989 when I purchased an undecorated Walthers single sheaf wooden boxcar.
One funny story concerns my reserve service.  I was in a unit in Richmond, Va and for long time I'd leave the meeting on Saturday and go to Cheseterfield Hobbies to check it out and buy stuff.  Then I'd meet a friend from the unit who lived in DC, and we'd have a couple of beers and eat dinner.  One evening, John said, "Gene, you always dash off as soon as we're released.  You having an affair with some woman?"
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Gene P.

I started my first layout in '76 at the age of 8. Mov3ed on to other things, then re-discovered the hobby in '02. Lot's of fun!!
Twin Forks R.R.

BIG BEAR

Mark,
   Your very welcome.

Memories are treasures from ones own past, when shared with other generate stories oh so fast.

I'm a poet & didn't even know it.
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

tiny

Well it a all started about 1943 in frisco, I was about 4 or 5 yrs old wein i "hooked" my 1st ride in a engine, & the 1st HO train was a varney docksider and some ore cars with it, wein i got older I had the SP round house as my "toy box". By then my mom moved to San Mateo,Ca. But i spent A LOT TIME at Misson bay round house & Bay shore shops, But that was a long time ago................Thank's Mark.
DIRECTOR OF IMPORTANT STUFF

tiny

OOPS!!!! Make that BIG BEAR, sorry.  tiny.
DIRECTOR OF IMPORTANT STUFF

Paul M.

2007 marks my 5th modeling anniverary.  ;D ;D ;D

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Seasaltchap

Pre-War TRIX out of a shop window display on Christmas Eve 1947 with two 0-4-0 locos LMS & LNER; such were the shortages. It was printed tinplate on Bakelite base track. The back of the track was printed ex-food cans.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

jschmid

1986, i was 3 i recieved a lionel O-27 0-4-0 oval 2 cars and cabbose, probably worth hundreds now.

HO scale since 1985!