News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Unhappy H-6 Customer

Started by MC, January 09, 2008, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MC

Since this is my first Steam Engine with sound maybe I was expecting to much.
Can some one tell me if the Bachmann Spectrum series are good engines or should I be looking at another brand.

Sorry Mr. Bachmann..but with the spot light broken off, the steam sound on all the time, the tender keeps coming loose from the engine, and it has a lot of trouble with going through switches. My new K-4 runs circles around the  H-6. Any help would be appreciated.

I have yet to do some research on the tenders but didn't expect such a small tender on the H-6. My K-4 tender it twice the size. Is this the correct tender for this engines?

Does anyone know when C & O went from white lettering to yellow. My old K-4 has white lettering so I was just wondering.

MC
Hoping to stay with Steam!

SteamGene

MC,
C&O went to gold lettering at least when it stopped putting the road number on the tender.  I assume when you say K-4 you refer to the Kanahwa, not the PRR Pacific, is that correct?  You reference the H-6, but Bachmann doesn't make a C&O H-6 or the almost identical H-4.  It makes an H-5, the USRA light Mallet. 
C&O was never happy with the H-5 - probably because it was too close in performance t the H-4/H-5 and they got their shirts in a knot over it.  The engines retained their as delivered USRA tenders until retirement.
I have three Bachmann 2-6-6-2s.  One I have not run yet, but the other two are fine runners.  They can be difficult to get on the track, but once there, they are fine.  OTOH, if you are having problems, check the wheel gauge. 
I hope this helps.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

MC,

As Gene pointed out, the tender on the H-5 is correct. And, like Gene I own three of these locos from Bachmann, all are fine runners.

I would suggest two minor modifications that will improve its performance:

Add about 2.5 oz of weight to the tender and bend the drawbar upward at the back of the trailing truck until it is parallel to the rails. These two minor ajustments will solve any tender derailing issues assuming you have quality trackwork.

One other note that applies to most all steam loco models these days - the wires from the tender to the loco must be arranged and positioned in a logical manner to allow them to move around curves without binding or draging on the track.

As of yet I do not own a copy of the new Kanahwa (or any of its other versions) but all the reports are very good.

As for Spectrum locos, I own about 20 of them. They are one of the best values out there. They run as well and look as good as many models costing much more from other manufacturers.

I will say that I find many of these models need minor ajustments like those I recommended for the H-5, but that is just as true for many of the other brands as it is for Bachmann.

I do not use DCC or sound so I have no comments about aspect of the loco - mine are the older non sound, non DCC version.

Sheldon

BaltoOhioRRfan

I have one of the 2-6-6-2's i customized in B&O(added Vandy tender, and a few other details). I'd like to get a C&O one but i dont want one with sound. They tender as stated is correct. I think Bachmann based thier 2-6-6-2 on the one sitting in the B&O Musuem(just didnt use its number).  My 2-6-6-2 is assigned coal drag duties most of the time when i run it.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

MC

ok so lets try this again.. It told me I couldn't post this on the last try....

I am not as unhappy as my last post. I finally had some time to play with it... (my engine) and  discovered that my main problem with all the hiss was the Cylinder Blowdown was on full blast. I finally figured how to turn it off and was able to get the feel of the real sound. Any engineers out there who can tell me what the cylinder blowdown is used for?

Gene, yes the K-4 is the Kanawha. I would like to stay with C & O if possible. Thanks for the info on Gold vs yellow. Looked like yellow to me. By the numbers on my Berk's #2786 white lettering & #2760 Gold lettering both were produced by Alco in 1946. I am not sure why the change. The older one has a lot more detail but doesn't run very well.

Ok, now I am really confused. You said that (Bachmann doesn't make an H-6)! The one I purchased was a Spectrum series 2-6-6-2. From my information I considered this  to be an H-6. After more review I discovered the 2-6-6-2 was also considered to be an H-1,H-2,H-3,H-4,H-4A, H-5 & H-6. I am not sure why it was a H-5 in 1919, a H-6 in 1920 and a H-4A in 1927.

Sheldon, would you please send me the digram on bending the drawbar. My email is mrichmond@alltel.net. Thanks

Now about switches.

Gene, Sheldon & Rich:

You guys seem to be running the big rigs so I would like some advice on switches. I am using mostly Atlas Custom #6 code 100 on the main line. Since I had a couple #4 left over I decided to use them as a cross over on one side of my layout.The problem is my K-4 & (H-1,2,3,4,4A,4 or 6) 2-6-6-2 doesn't appreciate the change. Would you recommend any other switch types other than Atlas. 

Thanks, guys for all the help. Sorry to ask so many dumb questions.

MC
Lets keep steam in the picture...

RAM

The Cylinder Blowdown is used to get water out of the cylinders.  Water does not compress so if there is water in the sylinders it could blow the cylinder off.

Atlantic Central

MC,

I will draw a simple sketch and e-mail it later.

As for turnouts I use Atlas code 83 and like them a lot, but no brand of #4 is going to like large steam locos, it just physics.

Atlas #4 custom line (both code 83 and 100) are actually #4-1/2, so if a loco does not like them, its not likely to like any #4.

Sheldon

SteamGene

MC,
C&O conserved on model numbers.  Virginia, you know.  How many Virginians does it take to change a lightbulb?  None.  Change?  :D
The C&O H series covered all articulated locomotives. Class H-1,2,3,4,5,6 (and their sub-classes) were 2-6-6-2s. Class H-7 was a simple 2-8-8-2 while Class H-8 was a simple 2-6-6-6
Class K was all 2-8-2s except for the K-4 which was a 2-8-4.  I'm not sure how they handled the PM Berkshires.  It's possible they became K-6. 
Class J 1 & 2 were Mountains, while 3 and 3a were Greenbriars - 4-8-4s.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"