News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:87 Scale heavy Equipment models

Started by Stephen Warrington, February 19, 2007, 08:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Warrington

::) I was in my local Wal-Mart and found several HO scale pieces of CAT branded models in diecast got a nice 163H motor grader for under 5 bucks. Now if only they will keep them in stock.

Dumb question what scale is 1:64 got a John Deere backhoe in that scale looks kinda big for HO or would it fit in.

Thanks
Stephen

jayl1

I believe 1:64 is S gauge - depending where you place it, it may pass for HO if you're not to pickey.  Check out Boley.  They have many trucks, etc.

Nigel

HO is 1/87.1 or 3.5mm to a foot

S is 1/64 or 3/16" to a foot

O is 1/48 or 1/4" to a foot in the USA, but in the UK it is 1/43.5 or 7mm to a foot. 
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Stephen Warrington

thanks Nigel for clearing that up good thing I didnt mount it to the 60' flat :-[

Stephen

rocko5901

Stephen    I'm new here but have worked with heavy equipment many years& am an HO modeller.  A 1/64 model would work in HO if it is a steel tracked excavator, it would be a larger model, if you want you could build a smaller cab & change the model #, eg: a John Deere 690 in 1/64 would roughly become an 890 in 1/87 scale, bulldozers, rubber tired loaders, scrapers , even graders would work this way, everthing looks the same on the prototype bigger models except the cabs. Look at some of the equipment manufacturer's sites for ideas. Regards, Russell  Cadotte, Vernon BC

hotrainlover

Stephen,
While you are at WallyWorld...  Look in the same area.  There are now MANY 1/87 scale models in diecast.  I just picked up Vans($1) in the clearance isles.  There are a lot of cars there also.  Especially the 1950-1570 range.  It is hard to find Transition area vehicles at &1.98....  ANYWHERE else...

There is also a good selection of  1/87 race car models.

Lee

LD303

The Norscott stuff wallymart has is ho scale....roughly....ive got several pieces mounted on flat cars and they are impressive to watch....in the same aisle i found some smaller diecast equipment...it looks like its halfway between n and ho scale.....but the bulldozers were just too nice to pass up....they look great on a flat car.....and look like the smaller cats you see working highway repair jobs or on a home construction  site, the backhoe is tiny and might pass for a terramite style hoe, but since equipment comes in all sizes i bet you could find a place for it on your layout.   i always check out the diecast aisle at any store i go to, never know when something nice might be waiting.

Stephen Warrington

;D Thanks guys for the information. I might try and use that giant backhoe. I know the Norscot stuff is HO it is stamped on the package and also I have discoved the whole line at my LHS but in boxes and at $20.00 each   :-X with Scale models listed on them and the ones at Wal-Mart have built to play on them for $6.00 bucks lol a big differance in whats on the outside of a package.

Stephen

JM

Ahhhh yes Stephen, you have discovered the ''secret'' that the manufacturers keep....sell to giant retailers like WalMart for pennies on the dollar....then change the package and sell to LHS for a huge mark-up...when I first saw the Norscot stuff at WalMart I had to do a  double take, I knew Walthers listed them at $20 each and these were $4-$6???  I thought they might be a cheaper version till I checked.....and I was pleased to find out that they were,in fact, the exact same ones that were listed at $20......needless to say I went right back and picked up several.
  A few years ago I got some sets of Athearn tractors in the WalMart clearance aisle, and sold them for a nice profit on EBAY, I kept two sets for myself, since they were discountinued by Athearn  I thought I'd hold onto them for a while and see if they re-issue them,since they were bought out by Horizon Hobby, who knows, that small investment might turn into something of value later.
   Always be on the lookout for those little jewels and deals,  and don't forget to check your local dollar everything store....all sorts of diecast goodies lurk in those places.

Stephen Warrington

;) Hi JM I got about 8 of those HO scale John Deere tractors the other day for $1.50 each at my LHS they had them on clearance along with some RTR athearn fllats with diecast bulldozers on them got two for $8.00 bucks each last two in the store. I got to go to my foot doctor tomorrow morning so I will swing by the Wal-Mart and see if they have any more of the HO CATS in stock.

Stephen

nw2

There is a big difference between the wallmart and the boxed versions. I own both. The wallmart has less moving parts ie. the wallmart bull dozer has molded on tracks and the boxed version has rubber tracks that can move. There are also some other detail and paint differences. In this case you get what you pay for. Dont get me wrong, IMHO, for HO Scale at a quarter of the retail price, the walmart stuff is more than adequate for a model railroad. If you have a construction equipment fetish or collect diecast you may want the boxed stuff.

JM

I thought the WalMart offerings were different than the Walthers listed products and those at my LHS....but they aren't....same molded on tracks on the dozers...same  operating features on the graders and earth movers and the same paint jobs all around......if Norscot makes a line of more detailed HO scale equipment....it isn't at my LHS.

Stephen Warrington

Hi Guys,

I agree I saw no differance between the Wal-Mart 6.00 version of the dozer and LHS 21.00 Dozer only differance was the packaging and the description.

Stephen

Paul M.

Haven't seen any of the 'dozers yet. I've bought a lot of their Model Power cars and seen some of their racecars.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Stephen Warrington

:-\ Hi guys,

Discovered I had been railroaded the other week.Went back to my LHS and picked up two of the boxed models one a CAT dozer and a CASE HO backhoe and yes their is a difference in the details and features on the Wal Mart backhoe no molded cylinders and the bucket is fixed on the boxed version they have everything the orginal does except for the hydrolic lines. Not a major differance for a flatcar load but its there.

Also learned from a good friend of mine someone on EBAY has been putting the cheaper Built to Play Models in the higher priced boxesand selling them for 25.00 and more. But since then his auctions have been pulled and he was banned after to many complaints.

Well a new day a new lesson learned now I need more flatcars should I look on ebay and get some nice TYCO flats in Athearn or Intermountain boxes!

Stephen