News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound in a side rod?

Started by amatore, January 12, 2008, 05:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amatore

Is there any way to install sound in a side rod gas loco? The one I have is DCC equiped. I'm not good with electronics, so it has to be simple.

I'm brand new to On30. Just love all the new products coming out. A recent trip to Durango convinced me I just have to get into On30.

Thanks

Frisco

I do not have one so I do not know how it would fit , but the ESU decoder would be great . If you want to go cheaper you can get the Soundtrax DSD-101lc would also work but you haft to soder a speaker to that one . :)

Tarheelrrds

Hello Amatore   
Yes it can be done, Jeff law An excellent On30 modeler has done it.I have the stuff to do it but it is on my list of things to do.Below is links to Jeffs website on the Davenport and to his Sound Installation.
http://datamasta.com/on30/on30.htm
His ESU sound installation web site
http://www.datamasta.com/emags/how_to/d_2004_dec_01.asp

Hope this helps.
Alan Ashworth

amatore

I was thinking of using an MRC Sounder since it comes with a speaker and is suppose to be easy to hook up. Just two wires.

Does anyone know exactly where to tie the leads in? A phot would be a great help.

Thanks

ksivils

Check Tony's Train Exchange.  The link is below.  These guys can do just about anything with DCC including doing the installation for you at a reasonable price.  They stand behind their work as well.

I have had nothing but great service and have only positive things to say about Tony's Train Exchange.  They will be very patient in answering any questions you might have.  They carry almost every DCC product being produced, and if they don't have it, they will try to obtain it for you.

http://tonystrainexchange.com/

0n30nutz

The installation is not that difficult. ;D At the decoder plug in the loco, I find the red and black wires which bring the power from the rails. On the factory installed pug the number 4 plug/ connector is the black lead, the number 8 plug/connector is the red lead. You can solder the red and black leads from your sound decoder to these leads/pads. BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET SOLDER FLOW BETWEEN ADJACENT SOLDER PADS...YOU WILL DO DAMAGE >:( I don't want to scsare you off, but you do need to be careful. ;D Once you've got your power hooked up, you can complete your speaker install, and program the decoder.
  Don't be afraid to do your own installs...I've found that by using info available from websites, groups, and forums I can accopmplish just about anything. I've only toasted one decoder, and that was because I was hurrying and not paying attention...real dumb ::). To date I've done 1 side rod, 2 Moguls, added sound to one of the Moguls and 2 Connies, and 2 Porters (these were the hardest by far)...and the shops have more lined up. Besides, I can get more stuff if I don't have to pay someone to do the work...the money I save allows me to swap out the basic BMann decoders for ones with higher ratings and/or more functions. 
  Tony's is good, but I've had much more satisfaction using Bruce and Linda at Litchfied Station, www.litchfieldstation.com,  for my DCC needs and gear: not a commercial, just my experience ;D ;D
  Good Luck!

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

amatore

Do I have to do any programing. I'm using Bachmann's EZ Command.

0n30nutz

You should only need to program the sound decoder to the same mumber as the BMann decoder (the engine number)...they both need to be "on the same page" so to speak.  Any further programming is up to you...

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

amatore

There are two plastic tabs that slide off for the power leads. These are on the lieft side (fireman's side). Just solder the corresponding leads from the MRC Sounder and you're in business. Much easier than I thought.

amatore