News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Please help the new guy!!

Started by MaineCentral, February 19, 2007, 08:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineCentral

I need help with my FIRST layout. I've finished half of my 4X8. My main line runs around the outside of the layout and I've noticed that 3 of the 4 turns are changing radius. I'm using strickly soldered flex track held in place by Foam Tack glue. (Recommended by my local Hobby Store) The track has the appearance as if it expanded and moved toward the outside of the turn, thus distorting the radius so that it has become sharper than I originally placed the track. My assumption is I hadn't used enough glue to properly secure the track. But now my dilemia is can it be corrected (?) or do I scrap what I have and simply start over. (!) Please help.

Nigel

It is highly unlikely to ge the amount of glue you used.

More likely, it that you did not adequately clamp the track in place for a long enough time while the adhesive sets.  It should be clamped for at least 24 hours (48 hours preferred) in a warm dry environment, longer if it is cooler, and much much longer if the humidity is high.

I use cans of food and drink to clamp the track in place, about 1lb for every six inches or so of track.

As far as removal goes - soak it with water, and pry up with a putty knife between the track and the foam.  The adhesive can be pulled off the track.  Soaking it helps.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

MaineCentral

Hello... sorry for the late reply.   Wanted to thank you for your suggestions.  Perfect advice.  I was able to remove the track and readjust the turn radius.   I've found that canned vegetables work great during the drying time.   Thanks again!