scottychaos

Quote from: HOplasserem80c on March 11, 2007, 11:13:54 PM
scott thats what you call a dixie-bella

it is?
I have never heard that term before..
can you explain? what does it mean?

Scot

scottychaos

I googled "dixie belle" and found a few references to a Tyco and Mantua HO scale 4-6-0 with that name..
there may have been a specific prototype loco with the name "Dixie Belle",
but my engine isnt it!  :)

Scot

HOplasserem80c

i will be glad to. a dixie bella is a 4-8-0 turn into a 4-6-0 by the baldwin loco works.when there is a space like that it is called a dixie bella (i think that is the company might be wrong)

also tyco made a HO dixie bella thats were i get my reference from

scottychaos

Quote from: HOplasserem80c on March 11, 2007, 11:26:22 PM
i will be glad to. a dixie bella is a 4-8-0 turn into a 4-6-0 by the baldwin loco works.when there is a space like that it is called a dixie bella (i think that is the company might be wrong)

also tyco made a HO dixie bella thats were i get my reference from

interesting!
I never knew that.
but doesnt apply to my engine..
my engine was always a 4-6-0, never a 4-8-0.

(there were about 50 of them of this unusual design, specific to one railroad and one builder)

Scot

HOplasserem80c

those mantua dixie bellas are very good runners

HOplasserem80c

Stephen D. Richards

Scott,  a little late for this reply, but do you know what the #6 WM Shay was originally designed/made for?  Interesting to note most of the Shays built for West Virginia were built designed for timber!  Cass also has a very large Shay that is not operational and you can see it at the engine house.  It is the number 7.  It developed boiler problems and they needed an axle to fix number four a few years ago and never made another for replacement so they just part out number seven!  That's a good picture of #6 by the way, where did you locate that?  I'm building a layout of Cass and I am trying to model the exact Shays, not with the Cass name.  Stephen

scottychaos

Quote from: Stephen D. Richards on March 12, 2007, 09:41:46 AM
Scott,  a little late for this reply, but do you know what the #6 WM Shay was originally designed/made for?  Interesting to note most of the Shays built for West Virginia were built designed for timber!  Cass also has a very large Shay that is not operational and you can see it at the engine house.  It is the number 7.  It developed boiler problems and they needed an axle to fix number four a few years ago and never made another for replacement so they just part out number seven!  That's a good picture of #6 by the way, where did you locate that?  I'm building a layout of Cass and I am trying to model the exact Shays, not with the Cass name.  Stephen

Stephen,
I didnt post the picture of the Shay!  ;)
that was Alex V.

but since he hotlinked the photo  >:(
(I give up..its an unwinable war.)
we can see it came from:

http://www.gearedsteam.com

Scot

Stephen D. Richards

Scott, sorry about the mix up.  Catching this board between running!  Thanks for the site, some great old pictures there!  # six was made for the WM to haul a coal drag out of the mines in and around Elkins WV.  Usually something the Heislers did back home.  Just a little added FYI.  Stephen

Alex V.

Stephen,
     If you liked gearedsteam.com, then you might like this site, too: www.shaylocomotives.com
HOplasser's pic is a Brill M.160 - It's now at the Dallas Railway Museum.
Alex - Owner/Operator
          Western Overland R.R.

Stephen D. Richards

Alex, just got to look at the site.  Thanks!  Great info on the Shays.    Stephen

Hamish K

I can't name the pictured 4-6-0 but the Tyco/Mantua "Dixie Belle" (not Bella) wasn't  a model of that loco or of a converted 4-8-0 with the front driver removed. It was of a Rogers 4-6-0 with a space between the second and third drivers, but no abnormal gap between the front truck and the first driver. See http://tycotrain.tripod.com/trainsets/id2.html

Hamish

Hamish K

The 4-6-0 has not been solved, so that is still the the current locomotive.

My guess in is built by Mason, owned by Leigh Vally Railroad. The following is not an idemtical locomotive, but has the same wheel spacing and is a Mason built 4-6-0 for the ieogh Valley.http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rea_home/lv15p.jpg

If I am right I pass on my turn.

Hamish

Hamish K

Woops - a few typos there. I meant the Lehigh Valley Railroad of course.
(I am Australian and don't know american places that well)

Hamish