News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Name That Locomotive Game

Started by Guilford Guy, February 19, 2007, 10:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seasaltchap

HOplasserem80c : Does a Reply#288 come before a Reply#290?

"We never do anything well until we cease to
think about the manner of doing it
"
Wm Hazlett (On Prejudice) 1778-1830

I think some of you are a bit too skitish for your own good.

Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

Guilford Guy

Quote from: HOplasserem80c on March 24, 2007, 12:37:47 AM
No it wwas my turn when you posted that.
Its no ones turn, its first come first serve.
Alex

HOplasserem80c

It was my turn cause i got alco/ge/ingersol-rand correct

Quote from: kevin drake on March 22, 2007, 12:08:08 PM
Quotealco/ge/ingersol-rand

The correct awnser is Alco/GE Ingersol-Rand 60 ton built in 1926.

It is still around and under restoration. I went over and looked at it yesterday, and it's looking much better. This is one of about five 60 ton boxcab locomotives of this type still in existence, and one of even fewer with end doors. There's still a lot of work to be done, but it's getting along.
Here's a link to the page on this:https://home.comcast.net/~tommy.anderson/box.htm

Guilford Guy

Whoever sees that its done first may post. Go back to the first page if you don't believe me and  reread the guild lines.
Alex

kevin2083

It dosent really matter whose "turn" it was. lets work on seasaltchap's picture, ignore the "jumping of the line," and try to keep it in order.

I cant get the picture to show up. Any help? it showed up once, but now it isn't-I dont know much about computers.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Dr EMD

Is it the London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) Fowler 3F 0-6-0T is a class of steam locomotive, often known as jinty?

It would represent the ultimate development of the Midland Railway's six-coupled tank engines.

Quote from: Seasaltchap on March 21, 2007, 12:31:10 AM

This is an easy one.

Clue : In 1960 it was the longest serving Class on British Rail.

© Peter Strange 1989

Please give non-UK types an opportunity to respond.

Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Hamish K

I can't see the picture so I can't be sure - my guess would be the Beattie 2-4-0t well tank  class. These were originally introduced in 1862 for the London and South Western Railway and 3 survived in regular service on a branch line until about 1962. By then they were owned by British Railways.

Hamish

Seasaltchap

Hamish : You may have come up with a fact that beats the experts.

Clue: The cab roof is the giveaway.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Hamish K

I still can't see the photo, has any-one manged to?

I suspect there could be a dispute about what was the longest serving class (not loco)  on British Rail in 1960. Different sites give different dates for the introduction of the Beattie Well tanks, from 1862/3 to 1872/4. The ones that survived into the 1960s were built in the early 1870s.   Some may be regarding  these as a different class from the earlier locos although some clearly don't. Further the Beattie Well tanks that survived were substantially rebuilt several times, and could be considered to have been rebuilt into a different class. Of course similar issues are likely with any other contender, any loco lasting from the 1860 or 70s to the 1960s will have been modified along the way.

Can any of the UK readers (I am Australian) shed more light?

Hamish.

Seasaltchap

I admit, a moving target makes it difficult.

Clue : Same engine, No.4 Portishead; same day, Whitsun Bank Holiday Monday 1938

© Peter Strange 1989

Hamish K

Thanks for the new picture, I was just getting a moving red x before.  I do know what it is but I won't spill the beans just yet, I would like to see whether, with an easier picture, others get it. It is  especially easy for fans of ................................

Whether this class (which survived to 1963) were an older class than the Beattie Well tanks is debatable for the reasons I  mentioned before. Seasaltchap's class was rebuilt into what might be regarded as a different class, and while the first members of the original class predate the survivng Beattie Well tanks, the first Well tanks were earlier. I leave this to the experts, I am not one.

Hamish

Hamish K

Is any-one, apart from me. still reading this thread?

In any case it seems time to reveal that Seasaltchaps's picture is of an ex London, Brighton and Southcoast Railway (LBSCR)  A1 class "Terrier" 0-6-0t.
Thomas fans - it's the same class as "Stepney".

Hamish

Stephen Warrington

I am still reading it, but I am clueless when it comes to most English Steam Even tho I have gotten to see some in operation in 2001. And I am far from being a Thomas fan.

Stephen

Seasaltchap

Thank you Hamish.

This "Terrier" is of particular interest to me.

From 1866-1869 a Mr William Stroudley was Locomotive Superintendent on the Highland Railway in the far North of Scotland, where he was responsible for building 3 small 0-6-0 engines; the forerunners of the 50 "Terriers" he subsequently built at LB&SCR, (London, Brighton & South Coast Railway) from 1872-1880.

The engines all had place names on the route from London to Brighton. As it happens No. 55 Stepney is a real working steam engine of this Class - today.

Mine was LB&SCR No.43 Gipsyhill, originally built 1877, and one of more than 20 absorbed into Southern Railway grouping of 1923, and this one was then sold in 1925 to Colonel Stephen's Weston Portishead & Clevedon Railway, as their No.2 Portishead. In 1937 the Line bought a second "Terrier" ex.LBSCR No.53 Ashtead, renumbered No.4, to assist with stone traffic to Brunel's Great Western Railway mainline at Portishead, from the Black Rock Quarries between Clevedon and Portishead,

The WC&PRly operated from 1888, and went into receivership in 1909. It remained operational until the GWR finally purchased the line and all the rolling stock in 1940, when the line was closed to operations. One Sunday two trains were madeup of all the rolling stock and taken to GWR Swindon about 40 miles away - at a max. speed of 10 MPH!

Both Terriers were also taken to Swindon. No.2 ex. Gipsyhill returned to GWR Clevedon in GWR livery, now as their No.5, and Ashstead as No.6 subsequently sent to Nottingham. This is my OO model in the GWR No.6 livery(waiting on new number plates as No.5), which went on to see service elsewhere on GWR until 1954.

The 1st "Black Rock" is a Bachmann model.

There were rebuilds of some of the Terrier Class, putting new boilers in and extending the smokeboxes. 4' Drivers, 12" x 20" cylinders, variable tractive effort 7650-10695 lbs.

First Edition of H.C.Casserley's "The Historic Locomotive Pocketbook" [1960], Pub. Batsford; subsequently became "The Observer's Book of British Steam Locomotives" Pub. Frederick Warne. These books quote the "Terrier" as the longest surviving class on British railroads, when they were withdrawn in 1963. Of the 50 built about 12 survive, some still in steam as is LB&SCR No. 55 Stepney on the Bluebell Line in Sussex.

Further reading:

1.) The Weston Clevedon & Postishead Light Railway, Colin G Maggs, The Oakwood Press.
2.) The Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway, Peter Strange, Twelveheads Press.
3.)Locomotion Papers Series, Weston Clevedon & Portishead Light Railway, Colin G Maggs, Oakwood Press.

Hamish K

Yes - I have always liked the "Terriers" They were probably (unless there is some other class I am unaware of) the oldest class on withdrawal in 1963, the Beattie well tanks were withdrawn in 1962 and as I mentioned, whether they were really the same class as the 1862 locos is debatable.

Is any-one else going to post a picture?

Hamish