News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Northlandz

Started by Dr EMD, January 11, 2008, 11:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilford Guy

I have similar preferences, but some people here have been, how would I word this, talked, somewhat critically towards others... Recalling a Garden Railways article I loosely shall quote... "many visitors who have suggestions such as 'you should put one of these things there' or 'that what would look much better with more ground covers' are responded to with 'I'd love to see your layout sometimes' and more often than not they don't have one of their own. I am just stating that there have been several critical comments. Before anyone jumps at me I will include a picture of my diorama(and custom painted Alco). Interpret what you want of it. Allen's scenery is still pretty amazing in my book.
Alex

SteamGene

There is no question that model railroading was made better by John Allen.  I myself are in awe of his work.  But there is no doubt that there is a bit of whimsy in his layout.  After all, we have a stegasaurus being used as a switcher.  I guess it's an 0-2-2-0.  He also had a restaurant on top of an impossibly steep mountain with no visible access, IIRC.  These are just two examples. 
One could also make the case that Allen may have piled weathering on far more than should happen. 
While my scenery will probably be fairly realistic, I'm going to have a meat packing plant in the Shenandoah Valley, which is probably not really authentic for 1957.  Why?  I like reefers and stock cars.   I'm also going to have a sauerkraut and pickle factory - to justify Heinz pickle cars, of course. 
Sheldon and Roger may not approve of either of those ideas.  Oh, well.
As a writer, I understand that I need realistic dialogue for my characters, but I also know that if I copy normal human speech I wouldn't have any readers.  My dialogue appears realistic, even if it isn't. 
OTOH, there are modelers like Tony Koestler who is on record as never "just running a train." 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Guilford Guy,

First let me say nice photo and nice model work.

I have one small technical comment about your photo. Being a retired electrician/electrical designer, I could not help noticing your pole lines.

In the real world, poles would not have cross arms and insulators without any wires on them.

You see I am a person with technical training in a lot of different areas, so that is the kind of thing I notice. Not that your model work is bad, or whatever. In fact I think the ground cover, back drop, etc are very effective and look great.

One problem we seem to have in this PC world today is that it is no longer aceptable to have preferences. I think that is wrong. You might buy a shinny new red Corvette, I would buy a Blue Mustang. There is nothing "wrong" with a red Corvette, but if you ask me I don't like them. And, I should not be expected to say their "OK" just so I don't hurt your feelings. That is nonsense. If you ask me what I think I will tell you I don't  like it and its not for me.

Just like "artsy" scenery on model railroads is not for me.

Posting ANY topic on a forum like this is in effect asking for peoples opinions.

As far as peoples comments at public displays, unsolicited comments in that situation are rude and not called for. When I was at Northlandz I did not make rude comments for others to overhear and I did not ask to see the manager and tell him how unimpressed I was or ask for my money back. But I will never go back and never recommend that anyone spend their time or money.

That is different from discussing a topic on this board.

I think the world would be a better place if more people knew what they really like/want/feel and stood up for it rather than just going along to get along.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Gene,

I'm not an expert on industries in the Commonweath in 1957, but as a young man in the 70's I worked in Smithfields meat packing plant somewhere there in the Commonweath. Got to watch the hogs come down the chute and then could watch them all the way to Hams and Sausage.

What I dislike the most are things like you mentioned, buildings in impossible locations, terrain that defies geology, etc.

That just spoils good modelmaking for me.

Sheldon

Guilford Guy

I did my best with thread ;)
I plan on getting some of Rapido's new ready made poles, much better than I could do... for my new module... (old one isn't too great)
Alex

grumpy

Everyone has their own tastes and ideas on what they expect their layout to represent. No one has the right to criticize . The layout is built to satisfy yourself and no one else. We are not in  competition .
Don

harryo

I've been there three times and bought the video and watch it .As far as the commets Bruce is laughing on the way to the bank.lol ;D ;D ;D

Atlantic Central

harryo,

If by Bruce you are refering to the owner of Northlandz, I hope he has spent some of that money on his business since I was there a few years ago. The layout and its merits aside, the place was pretty run down. The parking lot was full of holes, the building exterior was aged, in disrepair and looked almost abandoned, the interior public spaces where beat up, dirty and in disrepair. Personally, as a busines owner myself, I would have been embarrassed so say I owned that piece of property and expect people to pay to get in. My wife looked at me with a look that said "what kind of dump is this" when we pulled on the parking lot.

So to me it had that look of a business just barely hanging on, not one that was making anybody weathy, or even making anybody a decent living.

Sheldon