News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 saddle tank switcher

Started by Lucas1969, February 20, 2007, 01:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas1969

Hello, i am a new in DCC,i have an Bachmann HO 0-6-0 saddle tank switcher and i would like to know who is the smalless decoder can i instal on it to use with my Bachmann e-z command system.

Luc

Tim

Lucas

Go here

http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoderpics/Bachman%200-6-0%20Saddle%20Tank/Bachman_0_6_0_Saddle_Tank.htm

This is the smallest decoder I know of.
And they are reasonably priced also.

Tim Anders
Souderton, Pa

Jim Banner

The Digitrax DZ123 is slightly smaller and half the price.  The ratings are the same and the features are similar.

This is a more difficult install than most.  If you have another locomotive that you also intend to convert to DCC, then you might want to do it first.  You also need good soldering skills for this install.  If you have any trouble soldering, then take some time and practice before starting on this one.

Having said that, these locomotives are superb runners and well worth the effort.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Lucas1969

Tank's to every one, these to decoder will work with Bachmann ez command.

Luc

devious56

;D Hello,  I just finished installing a Bachmann dual mode decoder in that very locomotive.  A bit tight but not a problem.  You do need to know how to solder.

David Von Stein  8)
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Jim Banner

Quote from: Lucas1969 on February 21, 2007, 08:42:35 AM
Tank's to every one, these to decoder will work with Bachmann ez command.
Luc, is that a question?  If so, then the answer is yes, the two decoders mentioned will work just fine Bachmann E-Z Command.

To David
How did you ever manage to hide a Bachmann decoder in the Saddle Tanker?  I could barely get a DZ123 in the smoke box and couldn't see anywhere else for a decoder, except maybe the cab.

Lucas1969

Tank you so mutch guy's verry apreciat it.
Luc

devious56

QuoteTo David
How did you ever manage to hide a Bachmann decoder in the Saddle Tanker?  I could barely get a DZ123 in the smoke box and couldn't see anywhere else for a decoder, except maybe the cab.

Unfortunately, I didn't!  Bachmann's service department told me that the decoder would fit, so that is what I bought and installed.  The locomotive operated quite well, but I spent 3 days trying to put the shell back on the chassis and came very close, but couldn't do it.  I have sent the loco back to Bachmann, and am waiting to hear what they have to say.

Sorry for the misinformation........ I got ahead of myself.

David
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

ManFromGlad

To Jim Banner, Tim & others with knowledge of decoder install experience:
I have same problem as Luc, new to DCC etc, and have to install decoders in several 0-6-0's. A gent at my local hobby shop says he has N scale decoders (don't know brand) rated at 1 to 2 amps small as a penny that should work.

I am a skeptic! does any one know if that could work? 

Tony (MFG) 

Jim Banner

ManFromGlad, I don't know how small "small as a penny" is, but the penny in the photo below looks pretty big compared to the  Digitrax DZ123 that I use.  How did they compare in terms of price?  Tony's trains has the DZ123 for less than $16.  See http://www.tonystrains.com/products/digitrax_decs_small.htm
for details.

For the curious, the decoder is sitting on a Canadian penny which is the same size as an American penny.

ManFromGlad

To: Jim Banner,

Thank you & a hardy handshake in thought for the information.

Based on, the penny illustration you provided I have no doubt that the Digitrax DZ123 will fit nicely. Also, the price at Tony's trains appears to be much better by almost half compared to the price quoted at my local hobby store.

jayl1

Tony's can't be beat for knowledge, price, & service.

jon grant 4472

Hello,

I managed to fit a Soundtraxx DSD100LC into the 0-6-0 by flipping the motor so it now sits in the cab and the decoder is in the boiler - the speaker is in the cab roof - just.

Here is a video clip of the same loco - I have since synchronised the wheel quartering.

http://www.railimages.com/gallery/album508/aah

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages